Paint Correction Class by DSMS, feeler!

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by dsms, Sep 23, 2010.

1. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

He's located in New Jersey

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I would say something like this would be worth 650-800...

3. detailersdomain

I know what type of planning and time this would take that's why I haven't put one together....

Sorry Dave for jumping in.

4. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I'd say thats about right for what people will be able to take home from the class.

No worries Phil, I agree with you on this one too. As much as I wanted to keep it short and sweet and cost effective for me, its just not possible... hence why this is going to be a full day class.

I also need to find space, pay for a rental car + insurance on it, provide food and drink for all in attendance etc.

Lot of things to line up :gasp:

5. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I'm very interested but I live in AZ... :(

6. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

That's a hefty pricetag.

7. bjungx007

bjungx007 Birth of a Detailer

im in CA :(

8. kaisernaut

kaisernaut DB Forum Supporter

am interested! Early next year?

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Very interested. Count me in.

10. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I actually think it is VERY reasonable.... When David said cost was TBD I figured it would be about $1,000.

The ROI of $600-$1000 can/should be made up in one detail using the newly acquired/enhanced skills.

11. xyz10

xyz10 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The class offered is for high end detailing and would warrant a high cost to learn "secrets". For several hundred dollars, I think the class size should be a little smaller. In the NYC/NJ area, there are not too many high end detailers....most people would think it is "crazy" to spend several hundred dollars to "wash and wax" a car. My "guess" the sweet spot is around 200 dollars for a simple 4 hour detail job in my NYC/NJ area.

Maybe Dave and Phil should run the class jointly since Phil has more space these days ? Plus Phil has products to sell. Both guys are also in the same area of Northern Jersey.

12. detailersdomain

there are reasonable hotels around here.

13. jlt23

jlt23 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I want to attend too, but I'm in CA. If it's not too much trouble, maybe if you could video it with an HD Camera and sell DVDs for people who can't make it?

14. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

That is true. I guess it all depends on what is actually learned during the event. I'm just still bitter Dave made fun of my Wookies fist.

15. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Geeze I felt bad for charging 10 dollars at my last meet.

16. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

$10 is what i spend on a meal .....

17. GDAL

GDAL Guest

come on guys ... a one-on-one training class is not the same thing as a detailing gathering. If you don't anything constructive to say, please don't freakin' post anything.

18. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

One on one does not include 10 other people... $600-$800 is just crazy talk.

19. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Well you are entitled to your own opinion about the price, but I think it's fair. Paint correction skills are built up overtime, you can only learn the basics from the internet. After years of correcting paint, you learn A LOT of tips and tricks that will help you be much more effective, and I know I don't openly share mine. Learning rotary/paint correction skills isn't fun, if you mess up you either have an unsatisfied customer with holograms or even worse, you burn through the paint and have to get the panel repainted. For someone trying to open and operate a business, that is a very fair price tag. Quality doesn't come cheap.

Dave, just throwing some ideas out here. At the one small Autopia detailing meet I went to, the guy(Barry) was able to sponsored and get some sample polish sizes and stuff. Also, I would consider just going over what sticky paint is and how to overcome it. Just some ideas, good luck with the class :headbang:

20. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Price sounds fair, but the cost of a flight and hotel stay going from SoCal is too high. Maybe we can all chip in and fly Dave over to the West Coast.