I'm hoping honest answers..

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by er1k, Mar 31, 2008.

1. RTexasF

RTexasF Birth of a Detailer

Giving things away is not the answer, giving superb service is.

I enjoy the wash & vacs which start at $45. Mind you I live in one of the poorest cities in the US. With cheap labor EVERYWHERE $45 for a car wash is huge!
    Impressing a client comes with superb work and attention to detail. The usual is included but I go beyond that by doing wheelwells, door jambs, and Optimum Wax or Aqua Wax for the last step. No water spots EVER.

I point out what I did "above and beyond" the norm or they won't realize what I did for them.

A minor freebie is a nice touch now & then. If I see a spot on a floor mat or seat that will take 3 minutes to remove I do so but take a before & after picture. I show that to them and explain that I took care of that simply because it needed doing. Another is checking tire pressure and adding as needed....they are ALWAYS low! Again, tell them what you did for them!! That leads me into "Let me show you some other things that need attention". Those other things are whatever you observed while working on it.

Dry leather, needs machine polish, whatever. The first thing they will say is "How Much" if they are interested. Be ready with your price and try to lock them into a day/time right then and write it down in front of them. Be prepared to explain the processes required to achieve the desired outcome. You'll need to develop your own answers when they ask you to do it for less $$$. I'm a week shy of 59 years old so I can get away with things you could not like:
    "John, do you want this done half assed or do you want it done right? To do it correctly will require the amount I quoted you". If you did that they would think you were a smart mouth kid so develop your own way of saying no.

This has led me into several regulars that now come to me for regular washes and full details two to three times annually. Oddly enough every single one drives a Caddy CTS and know each other. Word of mouth works slowly but it's a very solid recommendation.
    All of these folks have sent others to me so it snowballs over time.

SERVICE is what you are offering, not a clean car. Service as a whole is just pitiful today so if you can offer good service you are ahead of 99.9% of the rest.

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

1) Don't have an emo haircut
    2) Don't wear your hat backwards
    3) Be polite
    4) Be on time
    5) Don't wear your trousers down to your ankles
    6) Act professional

You should be fine!

3. RTexasF

RTexasF Birth of a Detailer

Short, sweet, and right on the money!!!:applause2:

4. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

But thats how you do it? :picture:

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Extracted from "Essentials for Starting a New Business" Jon Miller MBA

8. How to Succeed.
    A detailing service will thrive in any area of the country if it is based on one, simple rule.
    Give your customers more than they expect.​

Repeat Customers are the Secret to Success! Give your customers more than just a clean car. Make a real impression.
    Give them Quality, Value, and Peace of Mind.​

Quality: there is simply no substitute. Insist on the highest-quality service, equipment, and products. Your competition doesn't.

Value: give your customers value for their dollar. Never cut corners to save cost.

Peace of Mind: instil confidence in your customers. Proudly advertise your commitment to excellence.

Promote a "First Class, We Care" image, which develops loyal and lasting customer relations.

Groundwork:
    •Tailor your business to meet the needs of the local customer base, study your community, each hour spent on research, can equal a year of success.
    •Determine if there is a demand for high-quality detailing in your area: Survey the entire area. Look for high concentrations of traffic. Locate retail businesses, auto dealerships, manufacturing plants, medical buildings, airports, transport companies, etc.
    •Investigate local environmental laws with the EPA: State, county, and city laws vary greatly.
    •Checkout the competition: Have your car detailed. Ask questions and observe.
    •Educate yourself: The library is an excellent source for articles and books on detailing. If possible, work part-time in a shop. Practice your skills.
    •Decide on the services you will offer: A well-rounded business should give the customer several detailing options, and offer specialized services.
    •Decide on the types of vehicles you will detail: Fleet and emergency vehicles, boats, limousines and motorcycles can generate considerably higher detailing fees.
    •Ask for an OSHA inspection before the business is open. If there any violations they will not fine you for them but you must be in compliance, so you’ll need to fix any non-compliance issues OSHA Compliance Assistance

© TOGWT ™ Ltd 2002-2008, all rights reserved

6. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Some great great advice here. RTexasF you hit the nail on the head and P1et is spot on as usual.