First time on Rotary

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by agpatel, Jan 16, 2010.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Then you won't want some of my Menz pads. Their finishing pad is firmer than the LC Orange!

2. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

No thanks...

Carlos has compared them to Pumice stones lol...

3. raiderboy

raiderboy Two Bucket System Washer

Looks like you're getting the hang of it. Maybe relax a little more, get comfortable, slow down slightly with the passes. Also, try different pads and polishes till you find ones you're happy with. Good job

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Had another go at it today and will say it was much better. I was a lot more relaxed and less tense. The rotary was easy to control, could almost with just a finger on the front to just guide it. Think I found out how get the pad to lay nice and flat and hit the sweet spot where it is just balanced. Results are still much to be desired IMO. Getting some micro marring and dont know what is causing it, MF, pads, or something else. Slowed down the passes and panel is getting warm but not really hot.

5. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

What compounds?

What pads?

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

1z high gloss polish (same cut as 106FA) on a white LC pad, then used 85rd on a Sonus Blue finishing pad. Used Gloss-It EVP Prime on each pad (1 spray/pad)

I can pick up a bead of polish and not splatter! haha

7. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I gave you that stuff :D

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

haha, yep...actually kind of like it on the rotary, on the DA it was kind of temperamental.

9. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

You should try to get some of the unigrit sanding papers, with the Meguiar's sanding block (rectangular backing plate for the paper). Don't recall if you have a PTG, but I'm sure with some trial and error, wetsanding and final compounding/polishing, you may be able to get some of those RIDS out that are still left.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have some 3m wet/dry sanding paper that I used initially to get rid of some scratches/just give me some sanding marks to remove. Used 1000 then 2000 grit. I do have a HF PTG that has helped me fig out how much I am removing. Some of the scratches are down the primer.

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If they were only that soft!

12. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Sounds like you're all over it! :thumb:

13. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I've only seen your video that you have up so I'm not quite sure how much more you have improved from everyone else's advice so I'll base my tips off of your original video.

You definitely want to lighten up your grip on your top hand (above the head of the machine). You also want to make smooth and steady passes/transitions and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible with every panel. Other than that, it looks like you've made some great progress and will only continue to improve! :)

14. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Thanks, I have deff lightened up my grip...I will try to make another video sometime soon.

15. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Awesome, I look forward to watching it. :)

16. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Ok new video up now...sorry again for poor lighting...to me it was good but the camera seemed to want to try and balance it out...you can see I have slowed down a bit, more lax in holding it...any criticism is welcome.

LC CCS White pad with Menz Power Finish and GI EVP. Speeds where 1100-~1300-1100.

YouTube - MOV00001.MPG

17. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Definitely an improvement Ankeet! What's the highest RPM you have reached so far?

18. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have taken her up to 2000-ish but SIP was just dusting like crazy around then, i have also taken 85rd up to that amount. Ken send me some tips and hints and kind of the processes that he uses and that is what I have been doing last few days. I really feel like right now lower speeds give me the best results and feel more comfortable with for now. May play around with higher speeds later just to see how I like it but for now around the 1300-1500 mark gives me good results and easy to control and panel does not heat up too much. Panel is warm to the touch but not enough to where I think, "oh wow this is hot."

19. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

yeah I like the 1500 area (on the Makita) I get a enough correction done on it at that level but there have been times when its called for going higher just gotta be a little more careful but no biggie if you are vigilant. Looks good though Ankeet definitely getting there man.

20. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Now just waiting for the weather to clear up, some time for me to be able to go home and buff out my parents cars! haha...