cquartz

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by mobilejay, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I was taught long ago that anything from loud neighbors to paint can be removed with the proper application of high explosives LOL

2. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Virgin Detailer

Has anyone used this on a vehicle with paint protection film like VentureShield? I am doing my wife's car this weekend and would like to seal the front end as well, but was not sure if it is safe on film. I have clayed, polished, and sealed the film with other products in the past with no issues.

3. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

Where did you get this info? If that is correct you cannot use it on clear coated wheels for the same reason?

cheers,
    GREG

4. richy

richy Guest

This is just my opinion, but I have worked with this product a fair bit. I don't think it'll be a problem and should help it out just like it does paint, glass or trim. It will not yellow the surface, that's for sure. Just make sure that it is squeaky clean so it bonds and Bob's Your Uncle.

5. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

Richy, on black plastic trim we are okay to apply? My mother just bought a Kia Soul and theres a lot of plastic trim, some smooth, some textured. I wanted to make sure there werent problems applying to that surface. Thanks. Also our temp is in the low 80's with relatively low humidity, how long should I let it sit before wiping off? Last time I used the product we were still in the 60's. AAANNNNDDD one more LOL. How long before I can reapply a second coat to the entire vehicle? They say 2 is better to help with the scratch resistance so I wanted to put 2 coats.

6. richy

richy Guest

I used it on the black plastic trim of my MKX. It looks amazing. Water repels off it just like it does on the paint. It does not darken the trim however, bear that in mind. Low 80's you should be good after 20 minutes. Check out Avi's instructions on his site for the most complete and up to date information:
    User Guide
    For the 2nd coat, in your temp, an hour should be fine. You're correct about the 2nd coat adding more protection too. I've sent Avi a message asking him how long after applying CQ can I top it with ReLoad. I can't remember the answer. Let me know if you need that info too. Post up some pics when you're done please. I've got a black Solstice I'm doing this weekend with CQ.

7. gthal

gthal Two Bucket System Washer

Applied Cquartz to wheels on my driver's side and Powerlock on the passenger side. Interested to see how each holds up and the ability to "self clean" the wheels. I can say that the CQuartz side look much glossier than the Powerlock side BUT the Powerlock side is slicker. BTW, both were VERY easy to apply and remove.

8. Kilo6_one

i finally applied it to my car, im very happy with it, I did one full coat, and then a second coat on the hood and front fenders...... i did find that the MF towel marred a portion of my hood, which ill probably ill have to polish it out and then re apply, overall im very happy and I have noticed a difference in just running a MF towel not marring the super soft paint of my STI.

9. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Why do people use such ridiculous font colors? Now my eyes hurt....

10. richy

richy Guest

Since I'm the only one using a different colour on this page, I assume that's directed at me?

11. richy

richy Guest

Did you use the same mf to remove the CQ as you did the first coat? After you have used it on the first coat, toss it into a pail of a strong mix of APC and water. That will save your towel, otherwise, you need to toss it as the product will crystallize and scratch the surface. It only takes a very light touch to remove it. I use a soft mf followed by an even softer one.

12. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

I am still having a hard time removing this product. I have let it sit on the paint for 5,10,15, and 20 min on different panels. When I do remove it I see like wax holograms. So I have to push harder. I love what CQ does but damn it's such a huge pita to remove for me. I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong

13. Kilo6_one

No, brand new towels per panel, and then thrown in APC and demoted just for safe piece of mind, I let it sit for 45 minutes and it was not easy to remove, it was very grabby from the get go if that makes any indication of an issue.

The second coat was super easy, the only thing I can think of is I used too much maybe? I have to correct a few visible spots but i'm very happy as noted.

14. amercour

amercour Birth of a Detailer

I just finished reading this entire thread, and I have some questions about Cquartz

1. If you apply it to plastic trim (which others have said looks it works great on) can you put Super VRT to give it a deep black look? Would you need to apply VRT? Someone had mentioned that it does not deepen the black
    2.How has it been holding up for everyone?
    3. If topped with re-loaded, how smooth does it feel? (compared to other sealants)
    4.Can you use it on your front windshield or should that be avoided?
    5. Anyone put it on painted wheels? How do you like it?
    6. For the gentleman that did half CQ and half PowerLock, how have things been going? Impressions? You mentioned the CQ looked noticeably glossier. Has this held up?
    7. How does it compare to opti-coat or opti-seal?
    8. Avi, are you from the Greek part of Cyprus? If so θα μου δώσεις καμια έκπτωση φίλε? :)

15. irontree

irontree Two Bucket System Washer

1. It won't get plastic parts that are faded back to deep black like C4.
    2. 3 months on and the car is still beading except for the lower parts of the door which seem to sheet more that bead.
    3. No that I need to I coat the car last week with reload to see if it would help with the lower parts of the doors. The car is very slick now.
    4. I din't use it on any of my windows. I have read you could without issues.
    5. I didn't have enough to do the wheels after putting two coats on the paint. I did put of coat of the OC on my Mini's wheels and after a week of driving the rims could be cleaned with just the pressure washer and no soap.
    6. N/A
    7. My car has the OC 2 and my wifes car has the CQ. Both get washed every week. My car gets more highway miles. Nothing seems to stick to the OC. I had a rather nasty bug splatter on my front bumper that washed away with ease using the pressure washer. I also like the fact that I can use ONR with OC. From what I have read you shouldn't use ONR with CQ. 90% of my washes are ONR after a foam and a rinse. It also seems like the OC seem to go a lot further with less product than the CQ. I only used 4cc of the 20 cc to do my Mini. I had to use almost a bottle and a half to do two coats on the GTI. For the price the OC will go further.
    8. I don't think Avi posts here on DB anymore. I might be wrong but I think I read a post stating that somewhere.

16. amercour

Thank you for all that great information! So then correct me if I misunderstood you but... It sounds like the OC 2 lasts longer and keeps the car cleaner looking (repels more dirt)? As far as looks go do you see any noticeable difference in the shine of the finish? Does scratch/marring show more on one car than the other? Which one beads better now after 3 months?

I use, and plan on using water for all of my washes so the ONR is not really an issue for me. Also, spread over a year (or two) the cost difference does not bother me as much. If you had one car what would you put on it (price not being an issue)?

It sounds like both are fantastic products. I am just trying to decide which one would keep the car looking best (nice gloss and reduction of marring), as I don't really like the idea of constantly correcting the paint on the car I plan on using it with.

17. irontree

The one with cq only gets driven very little compared to the car with oc. They both have a crazy amount of water beading and shine. Dirt and bugs seemed to stick less to the oc than the aq. If money were not a issue would still get the oc for the paint, c4 for the trim and reload. Both were easy to apply and remove. Both of my cars have semi hard paints so i cant say which one offers better scratch protection. Try them both.

18. irontree

19. amercour

20. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

ive got OC and CQ now.....im reading now

just watched the new app video of AQ and will put the spray top on the CQ bottle next time