cquartz

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by mobilejay, Nov 2, 2010.

1. richy

richy Guest

Yes, the key Danny is to have an alkaline-based soap for the mixture.

2. IID

IID DB Forum Supporter

I don't know if it's recommended but after correcting the paint on my daily driver with Menzerna Power Finish,I used Griots Garage Paint Prep to clean the corrected surface before applying my CQuartz.After a couple of wipe down's and letting the Paint Prep dwell (couple minute's),I then follow the Paint Prep with water wipe down's and dry.
    I know CarPro says to use IPA/Dawn to pre-clean the surface for CQuartzing but I have yet to have any issues with applying CQ when prepping with the GG Paint Prep.

3. richy

richy Guest

Chris, I, personally, would not deviate from Avi's instructions. If you follow them, you KNOW it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I place the order for Cquartz from Phil, now I just need to re correct my finish and prep the surface for Cquartz. I am confused on one part thought (in red).

Wait 20~30 min. average(@20~30 C. : 10~15 min. @10~20 C. : 20~40 min.) then wipe off gently with soft MF/suede MF, short loop fibers fabric.
    Let dry for: 1hour at 25 degrees Celcius or 3 hours at 15 degrees Celsius.

I get that you remove it after certain time at a certain temperature but what does Carpro mean by let it dry? Do they me a cure time before exposing the vehicle to the elements i.e. taking it outside in the sun or going for a drive after you wiped it off the haze? I am guessing they mean let it bond to the surface. Also does one apply it in sections. i.e. apply to the hood & both fenders, let it haze then remove then move on to applying it the roof & both doors. Or do you apply it to the entire vehicle and then start counting the drying time from the time you ended the application on the entire vehicle?

5. d964

d964 Two Bucket System Washer

see red remarks above

6. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks Avi I was hoping you would reply this week the temps range from 66F to 75F. I should apply it in sections then. Also is 30ml enough to cover my Mustang Gt's body, trim, glass, wheels, door jambs, and is it safe to apply it to headlights and taillights or should I not apply it clear plastic lenses? Or would I need a second bottle to cover all those surfaces?

7. richy

richy Guest

Danny, you should be able to coat what you want with that bottle. Like using any new product, one tends to use too much at the beginning. You will see like a blue haze kinda when you are applying it. Go back and forth both directions to ensure even coverage so you don't use more than you need to on each panel. Hope that helps.

8. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

When the directions state to wait 10 minutes for the "haze" to appear, is this haze a traditional haze (whitish tint) or more of a holographic haze / spectrum-like hazing?

Any help is appreciated.

9. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks Richy I appreciate it man it does help me out alot:)

10. d964

spectrum-like hazing
    and again, wipe off time depend on room temp. not fixed 10min. after applying.

11. rfinkle2

Thanks Richy and Avi for sharing your experience and expertise.

12. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I am stuck trying to decide what quick detailer to get to use for weekly washings to maintain Cquartz. I need something that I can use as a drying aid that wont affect Cquartz ability to do what it its suppose to. I currently have these.

1/4 - gallon CG Pro Detailer
    1/3 - gallon Opti Instant Detailer
    1/2 - gallon Poorboys Spray & Wipe
    1 3/4 - gallon Mothers Showtime

I was thinking of trying the following QD's. I only buy quick detailers by the gallon because I don't have to be ordering a bottle every month.

Duragloss Aquawax -- Not sure if the if this is a good idea because its a spray way and will leave behind its own protection on top of Cquartz
    Megs Last touch -- Not sure if this leaves behind any protection, am also wondering what look it gives you
    Another CG Pro Detailer -- Not sure if the if this is a good idea as well because its a spray way and will leave behind its own protection on top of Cquartz... I love the look it gives me though

13. richy

richy Guest

Danny, I have used ONR and AW. What I have found is that it will streak if you don't go back over it with a soft mf. Both work well and don't seem to affect the coating. Of course using ReLoad is the best option but it costs more. I do recommend using it periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks again Richy. I wanted to ask what do you use to dry your ride after a wash besides an electric blower and a ww? Also how often do you apply Reload and do you have to apply it to a dry surface or can it be applied wet ?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

15. rfinkle2

I can't answer for Richy's drying technique, but you can definitely use Reload on either a wet or dry car.

16. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

Honestly, a QD or QW will not affect the performance of Cquartz. It will be just as easy to clean, the beading will be just as good, and it will look the same as the polymers most QDs and QWs leave behind is extremely thin and superficial. That said, I have used DG AW, Gloss-it QD, Reload, CG V7, and fk425 and they all work perfectly over Cquartz.

17. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks much appreciated, which out of the 4 is your favorite QD/QW. I am on the fence on what to purchase, how often do apply Reload to Cquartz

18. d964

Just 1 thing to highlight here, Reload is NOT QD !! , its active coat which will resist APC cleaners and has some durability time on car surface ,
    thats why its not cost the same.
    Reload is a hydrophobic treatment on car surface., not only quick glossy spray.

19. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I knew Reload a spray sealant Avi. I just wanted to know about how often I should use it because I knew it is a sealant and not a quick detailer and dont want to over use it. I also wanted to confirm with you, is it able to be applied to a wet surface? Or is it better to apply it to a dry surface.

20. richy

richy Guest

Danny, I know it can be applied to wet or dry surface. I prefer dry and use it sparingly. In the summer, probably once every 2 months whereas in the winter with the salt and crap on the roads, I would do it once a month if you can. That might be overkill but the protection it gives is great.
    As far as your other question, I either use flooding to remove a lot of water or the leaf blower followed up by a ww.