911fanatic vs 06 SLK55 ( 150 pics )

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by 911Fanatic, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Lovely work Ken, finished shots are awesome :thumb:

2. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Outstanding work Ken .That Black label makes that baby look so deep and dripping wet. Those Backing plates look identical to the rubbish boys ones I have. Very well made If they are one in the same . Great job .

3. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

looks like liquid! I love me some black paint.

those wheels and calipers are a deadly combo when properly detailed. they give a nice crisp look to the car.

I love that you took the vents off...full coverage with a quality wax. It boggles my mind that people spend money on cars like this and don't get a good freshening up like this every year or two.

4. Wss03

Wss03 DB Forum Supporter

Great work!

5. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

That was absolutely stunning work Ken. To say, all this with -15 outside. I have a hard time believing it wasn't a little chilly in there. Regardless. I love it.:applause:

I will say this though( and I hope I'm not hated for it): do you have "better" pictures of the wax result. I'm a little "iffy" about that RG concours. It seems like it's slightly lacking for the $425 price tag. I mean it looks great, but it's hard to tell from pictures that it's any better than a cheaper priced wax. I hope what I'm saying isn't being taken the wrong way.

6. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

looks great ken! looks like you got down and dirty on this one...literally. i've been wondering what the mild acid solution you use on wheels from time to time is? oh and i noticed these "splotches" in a few of the defect pics:

[​IMG]

any idea what they were from? they seem to be an odd defect to be popping up in random locations throughout the car...

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Yes you will be hated but, oh well. LOL It is hard to tell from the pics but the depth and wetness after it cures for a day or two are fantastic. Having said that, if a car is polished properly, the choice of wax or sealant will make little difference to the finished look until you get into the higher end products. Higher carnauba products will add something even to well polished paint. I'm not talking more expensive, just higher carnauba content.

I'm not sure what happened there. Almost like something had been rubbing up against it. The acid is something that is made locally here.

8. adamturbo

adamturbo Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Superb work and thank you for sharing this detailed write-up. Great stuff!

That new backing plate looks interesting, is it for 5" pads or 6"? I'm looking for a new backing plate for 4" and 6" pads that's similar to the 3M one, whenever it goes up for sale on your site ;).

9. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

lol. Alright.Well then I'll have to take your word for it. I didn't mean for it to sound negative. It's hard to find the proper words to say what I mean, but as you said; oh well.

I know that a higher carnauba content will generally yield a better depth and shine to a paint, but will also generally sacrifice longevity for it. I also know that it's hard to really capture the essence of those attributes through a 2 dimensional camera image. That's why I was asking if there were - for lack of a better word - "better" images of it, since after all, I can't just TEST it to see for myself at that price. knowamsayin'?

*fist bump* aaaaand we're out!

10. 911Fanatic

11. 911Fanatic

There is a 5" and 3" bp so you can use them with your pads, no problem. Hoping to have some here in a few weeks. :)

12. gerbig

gerbig Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Nice work man! And nice camera too. What are you using?

13. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

where did you get that tarp with the edges?

14. 911Fanatic

Camera is a Nikon D60 with 16-85 lens.

Its from RIGHTLOOK.COM

15. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Very nice work Ken and Paint looks superb!

16. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

whoops.... i missed this one.

You're welcome for the mat!!! I've gone through everything we traded! haha glad that you still have the mat

17. 911Fanatic

I'll wear it out before I get rid of it bud. One of my best purchases.

18. butler2.8i

butler2.8i Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Stunning finish Ken, cracking write up matey