Why do you love detailing?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by bwanderson79, Nov 17, 2009.

1. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'm a relative newcomer to this forum, but since I joined this has truly become a passion for me and I was just asking myself why I love doing this so much. Why am I different from the average guy washes his car and sprays Armor All on his steering wheel and calls it a day? I'm not really sure I can give a real answer, but for me its about the beauty of a car that looks better than new, especially when it looked fifty years before I started on it, and now it looks fantastic. I also enjoy the seeing the reaction I get when I've done someone's car (only four so far). The thing I actually enjoy the most is detailing an older car that looks terrible, oxidized, faded, scratched to hell, and making it look brand new. The fact that I can see the results right away is also a plus.

So how about you? What is it that has you spending hundreds of dollars and countless dollars on detailing, when most people are ok with the local carwash?

Brian

2. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Pure passion for the art of detailing for me, its that simple. Nothing like a beautiful car at its cosmetic best.

3. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Its all about the end result for me. I love to watch the damage being removed and the shine brought back to better than new. It takes a special type of personality to have a passion for this kind of work.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have loved cars from when I was a kid, in loving cars I also like to keep them looking good. When I was a kid I remember washing my parents cars, all be it the wrong way as I know now, and enjoying the time outside and time with my dad. Now after knowing the proper way it helps me keep my baby clean and looking new. Also it is a huge stress release for me, I find it very relaxing just going out of my apartment mixing up some ONR and washing my car after a stressful day of classes or a week that was just horrible.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Cause I can do this!

[​IMG]

6. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

Owner reactions.

[​IMG]

7. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Just one word... SATISFACTION

8. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Like Ankeet, for me, it comes from a years long interest in pretty much anything to do with cars. I guess part of that is making them look their best. Maybe it started as a pride thing - being proud of whatever car or truck I had at the time. I know I was the only nutjob in the duplex I rented in college who was out there washing his car in the winter. :lol:

It's become a peaceful thing for me to do, too. I can get lost in the work for hours, forgetting to eat lunch and losing track of time. It clears my head, makes me focus.

9. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

HA, I know the feeling of being the only nutjob washing his car outside my apartment, hot or cold outside. I get some funny looks sometimes and I dont know why?!?

10. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

to me it gives me the opportunity to spend some quality time with some cars I normally wouldn't. That and I get to meet many car enthusiasts while doing so. Gives me some spending money and I love being around cars. That and seeing the results is great.

11. Cooter

Cooter Guest

A clean black car does it for me. Its a really good stress relief. It gives me something to look forward to and a small feeling of accomplishment. Plus its something to be proud of.

12. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I enjoy having the shinest car on my street. :p

13. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

i think i do this because my dad was one of those guys who says, "cars dont run on paint" type of guys. his cars are always dirty, i think its been 18 months since he last washed his car. so i learned the engine building and mechanical from him but wanted more since he was so against it. from then it was just continued

14. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Any Rag Vehicle Washer

It allows me to express myself. I was never great at playing sports, wasn't the smartest in class, but I could see the details and imperfections in cars when it came to detailing. It's an immediate gratification to see what I start with and what is complete. The coolest thing is I can imagine what the car will look like when complete and I try and see how close to my vision I come.

15. InfamousNic

InfamousNic Any Rag Vehicle Washer

From my perspective its an activity that requires a very focused attention and that leads to obvious results in a relatively short time frame. It then takes your mind off anything and brings you a great satisfaction.

Bonus: pretty looking car....

16. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

pure passion!

17. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

It used to be because I couldn't afford real car mods like parts, but I've ended up spending much more than I should've on everything outside of cars. Detailing has taken up a chunk, and photography has taken up the other chunk.

I do it not for the sheer joy of seeing my car or someone else's car looking its absolute best. It's something that identifies me among my friends, and I am proud of it.

18. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

hey, I know that guy! lol

I love detailing because I can spend time with my car, making her beautiful.

19. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Because nothing looks or feel better than a freshly detailed car... and I still am amazed every time when I bring one back to life...

20. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

hmm i don't know about that one...