where to find a test panel

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by haper, Jul 16, 2008.

1. haper

haper Birth of a Detailer

i called two auto body shops and an auto recycling place looking for a spare body panel but no one is interested in helping me out. i even offered to buy the panel but no luck. btw: i'm planning to use it to experiment w/ wet sanding and i'm in monmonth county, nj.

any ideas where to look?

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Just show up in person, people are more willing to help when you are there in person, plus you can see all the scrap pieces in the dumpster and ask if you can have one. Those would be the two best places, the body shop more so, the salvage yard is actually trying to resell body parts.

3. sumdetailer

sumdetailer Birth of a Detailer

Yeah, or if you have friends into modding, someone should have an extra hood or something.

Are you looking for perfect panels(meaning not in a crash and could be attached back onto a car when done) or do you just want some "metal" to test on?

4. haper

haper Birth of a Detailer

i'm looking for a piece that's painted that i'll just throw away when i'm done.

5. jodib425

jodib425 Virgin Detailer

try your local maaco place, they have plenty of spares around (but the scrap dealer generally goes there at least once a week to pickup panels) so it's generally a crap-shoot as to if they actually have any panels they are throwing out

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Craigslist baby!