Volvo Clear Coat

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by d00t, Apr 11, 2009.

1. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

I'm going to cheat a little bit. Usually I'd test combo's myself, but this detail is extremely limited on time, so I'm gonna see if anyone has any insight.

Paint readings are very healthy (180ish). But is Volvo clear generally HARD or SOFT?

Thanks!!

:thumb:

Aaron

2. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

I worked on a fairly new Volvo C30 that was red and it was pretty soft. SIP/Prima Swirl worked nicely to give it a one step with my PC and Brian N's Flex

3. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Aaron, not long ago I did a full correction on a fairly new (2007 if I'm not mistaken) S40, the little four door sedan. The paint was really soft - maybe the easiest car to correct I've ever worked on. It was like polishing a stick of butter!

4. dtaildood

dtaildood Any Rag Vehicle Washer

While on topic of Hard and soft clear coats, instead of opening up a whole new thread. I have a Mazda coming up. Any insight on the clear coat on them?

5. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

This helps nobody but I thought it was amusing

Whilst correction a new blac Merc CL, I did my usual test panel with a medium aggressive combo (foam and cutting polish)... after finishing down the polish I got exited to see how it did against the scratches... didnt even make a dent, I was left with the exact same finish as before. I was like "oh f*ck" time for the wool at 2100rpm :thud:

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

What kind of Volvo is it? Remember, the earlier ones didn't have clear coat. For example, late 90s 850s...

7. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Hahaha, same here Dave! When I was working on the s5 two weeks ago I always start off w/ SIP and either a 3M uk Yellow pad, or GI PP Green and I was like "well that was a waste of 10 minutes".

It was a '0..7?6? V70r. Turns out the clear was medium hard. I hit it with KBflex(PC)M w/m105 for two passes, and finished with black/m205.

8. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Cannot wait to see pics mate, the V70R is a wicked machine!