Ultima, anyone?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by supercharged, Nov 26, 2007.

1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Anyone out there tried Ultima products??? They seem to be very pricey, I just wonder how well do they work, and if they are really worth the price? I have Optimum Opti-Seal, and am pretty happy with it ($25 for 8 oz bottle). I don't wanna pay $75 for 12 oz bottle if it's pretty much the same thing...
    Anyone???

TIA...

2. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I'm not sure if Ultima is worth it...what I would really like to know is how much of the price is profit :p.

3. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I bought the Sampler kit when it was available....It contained the spray sealant...the prep polish and a detailer spray and a pouch of car wash....

I did 2 cars with it...and it does look very good on darker paints..very slick...I did 3 coats on each over a weeks time period....it was done in Sept....now come close to december..they look alright..not as slick as when done...still beading very well...and gloss seemed to fall off some...I do not think it will make a winter sealant..more of a summer thing...would I use it again...yes....only for the summer...would I buy it again...no....I would by Zaino for the money as it has a better look and lasts better....

SAVE YOUR MONEY...

AL

4. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Thanks AL! How would you compare Zaino and Wolfgang DGPS in terms of looks?

5. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

OK....Wolfgang has a nice look to it..sorta a warm Carnuba look to it..but its only downfall is durability...its very short lived on a car outside 24/7.....nice for garage queens...also depends on climate also....works nice in warm dry climates...bad is rainy or snowy climates...

Zaino Z-5 is the one I like..it has the better look ...Z-2 reminds me of Klasse..very glossy High Shine....lacks any depth....Z5 has more of the warm look to it...2 coats gives you the warm deep look with a wet look also....and slicker.....

Now if I was to have the Wolfgang look..I would get Poorboys EX over WG...sorta the same look...but lasts a bit longer..and cheaper also....PB's EX is a much better product..in My books ....

Al

6. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Thanks for the info :)

7. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

lots of good info here, maybe ill give zaino another shot in the new year.

I have tired opti-seal, its a good product. It does an ok job in terms of looks and durabilty, but its quick. I have it on my dads car. I can put on a cot of duragloss and top it up every week or two with opti-seal.

Althouh the clear sealents IMO dont perfrom as well, they do have a place in my detailing chest

8. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Hmm how about put Jeffs Werkstatt ACrylic Jett in the mix? It's cheaper than WG dgps..

9. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

yeah sure, just make the list of product i need to buy even longer... :deal:

10. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

:p hahah

11. supercharged

Thanks, Al. I'll save money, maybe be better off getting Zaino Clear Seal.

12. marlcoke

marlcoke Birth of a Detailer

I've only tried the PGP and wasn't all that impressed. Agree mostly with Al.

13. supercharged

AG now carries their entire line. And it's on sale. I was looking at those prices, and might even risk saying it might be on the close out sale...AG usually doesn't drop prices that low...
    Anyway, is Ultima worth a try???

14. Brent

Brent Birth of a Detailer

Autopia's website has 12 ounce UPGP on sale for $31.

15. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I really like the UPGP sealant. I have a brand new 12 oz bottle to trade and the only reason I'm trading it is because I have a couple of bottles and a little goes a long way, so I have enough to last me 2 more years or more.

16. grease

grease Birth of a Detailer

I love the WOWA sealants. Adds a quick and easy protective edge to quick detailing.

Of the 3 (ZCS, UPGP, OOS), UPGP lasted the longest. I also darkened the paint more then ZCS. Opti seal also darkened the paint, and it was cheaper the the other 2. ZCS offered no improvement in looks for me. AS impressed as I normally am with Zaino products, ZCS was the opposite.

17. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

I liked all the Ultima products I tried, but IMO, they *severely* missed the price/performance ratio; their products command a premium price for just OK performance. Their stuff performs about on par with Meguaiars and FK1 equivalent products, but at a much, much higher price. In order for the Ultima line to do well (again, IMO), they're gonna need to be competitive on pricing at the level to which their products perform.

18. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

They seem to have finally brought down the price. They have had it "on sale" for a while and hopefully they will leave it that way. The UPGP is a great product. Lately, I've been doing 2 coats of UPGP, topped with 1 of Opti-Seal and the results are amazing. UPGP gives you really nice, sharp reflections and wetness with some nice depth and the Opti-Seal adds a bit more depth and warmth. Add some Z8 and you are good to go.

19. dogma

dogma Guest

I agree with Al about Zaino. For both looks and durabilty it can't be beat. I always loved the looks of Z5 and with Z8 it goes up even further. I also love ZCS It doesn't deepen the color just adds wetness and durability. I have used OS and like it a lot too . I will probably order some Ultima this week and try it out.
    As far as other sealants like JW , I have the whole line and although its pretty good it does leave that plastic look and definately mutes metallic. FMJ leaves a plastic look too. I have the Blackfire wich I guess is the same as WG. I thought the Blackfire was pretty good stuff with a nice look.

Bottom line Z5/ZCS/Z8 is the ultimate in looks and durability .

Anyone want my JW line I have everything including CJ. Would love to trade for Ultima.

20. dervdave

dervdave Virgin Detailer

detaildoc you`ve a Pm