Tires Dirty/Brown Question

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by ////AMG, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ////AMG

////AMG Two Bucket System Washer

On my brothers car his tires are dirty kind of brown looking. I tried AG Custom Wheel Cleaner about 3-4 times and it helps abit. But I can keep spraying yhe Custom Wheel Cleaner and it will still change colour and take brown/dirt off. I can't get tire shine to last quite some time on his tires even. Like on my Mercedes I can get the Sonus Tire Dressing to last weeks or if I'm lucky a month. But on his car only days. The tires only have like 20000kms on them so not that old and were used for one winter.

Any help?

2. dankfanatic

dankfanatic DB Forum Supporter

are you scrubbing the tire after each round of CWC?

3. ////AMG

Yes, and jet sprayed after.

4. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

Try Chemical Guys Grime Reaper 1:3 - I found that to remove the most dirt when combined with a stiff brush.

5. Swirlkiller

Swirlkiller Two Bucket System Washer

Try cleaning the tires with ARO (Amazing Roll Off) with a brush and let it dry. Then apply a tire restorer that NOT has any silicone in it. That was makes them brown... (also some rubber are act different than others, brands etc.)

6. minorc

minorc Two Bucket System Washer

APC for me with a good horse hair brush, well rinsed after. Dried then dressed with Swissvax pneu. New and old tires, always look great

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

The UV inhibitors in the rubber compound may be comprimised.

8. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

If the tires are browning this quickly, its probably their "youthful bloom" caused by the release of the their release agent and the antiozonant meant to protect them over time(otherwise they would degrade mega fast). I would suspect this at least for now because as you said the tires only have 2000KMs on them. Depending on the type of compound the rubber is, a lot of tires will do this thus rendering any water based formulas pretty useless after the first couple weeks(which is still pretty good).

Mike

9. KlineS157

KlineS157 Birth of a Detailer

I always use Megs APC 4:1 and a stiff brush mixed with some elbow grease. Never had something i wasn't satisfied with yet. If it is the tire, dont they make a black dye, used to hide white walls? Good Luck

10. ////AMG

Guess I'll get a good APC

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

sounds like tires might not get dressed on a regular basis. Try out Gloss It Signature Gloss on those, and apply 3 COATS, 30 minutes apart from each other...

12. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

ZEP Purple at 4:1 works fantastic!

13. Jaymz

Jaymz Virgin Detailer

Westy's Bleeche White; the only tire cleaner you'll ever need.

Jim

14. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I used CG's Total Interior Cleaner and it worked miracles on tires.

15. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

P21S TAW is my fav for tire cleaning.

16. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

buy new tires...... start over LOL

17. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I have had great results with Meguiars Super Degreaser. You can see the brown stuff coming off after wetting the tires, and brushing the degreaser on and letting it sit for a bit.
    Sometimes, you have to do it twice, but when the tirebrush stays clean, the rubber is also clean.
    As has been said, a lot of tire dressings have Silicone which is not the best for rubber anyway, and will cause some rubber to turn brown.

I recently tried Tuf-Shine tire clearcoat dressing and its been great! No silicone, tires and white letters stay the proper color for weeks now. Doesnt need to be replaced at every washing either. No greasy residue on you, your tools, or the tires..

Good luck with your project !
    Dan F

18. ////AMG

Yeah lol that is what my brother wants to do. I'll order some of the products mentioned here and try it out.

19. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

what kind of tires are they? You can buy a product called tireblack, tire are actually brown to begin with, the manf. add the black color during production. Sometimes the cheaper brands can loose the coloring by just environmental factors, age etc. That is why Tiredressings with UVA and UVB inhibitors are a must, it helps with prevention of this issue.

Post up a picture maybe?

20. ////AMG

Their Continental's the came with car when purchased brand new. Ill try to get some pics later today.