Thinking about PC .... should I go with a 'kit'?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by XanderNFS, Jul 3, 2010.

1. XanderNFS

XanderNFS Virgin Detailer

I am just getting into detailing and so far have only been doing wash/clay/wax. I've been toying with the idea of getting a pc and was wondering, since I don't have an polishes, should I get a 'kit'? I've been looking on DD and looking at the pc kit with pads (4) and 3 Menzerna products. I've also been thinking of getting JUST the pc with pads and a bottle of PO83 & PO106FA which comes out the be just as the 'kit'.

On the other hand, since I am still a novice and am only doing this as a hobby, would I be getting in over my head since I've never used a rotary polisher? Should I invest more into what I am currently doing and go from there?

Thanks,
    Xander

2. mx22

mx22 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You should get a kit - if you plan to polish the car, you would still need to have polishes and pads. Would be cheaper to buy it all in a set then separately. One thing though, make sure you buy at least 2 sets of pads. I've just polished my car with PC for the first time and it was nice to have a spare set of pads. One of the orange pads is pretty much gone too... That said, I did not use green pads at all - so maybe Phil can substitute green pad for an orange for you?

P.S. It is not all that hard to use polisher. Head over to Adam's forums and checkout videos by Junkman, he explains it all in great detail. Definitely the best videos I've seen and they helped me a great deal with the first polish...

Cheers!

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Contact Detailer's Domain (a forum sponser) they will suggest a 'kit' from a hands-on standpoint as opposed to just selling you stuff

4. Bunky

Bunky Guest

The right kit would be the most cost effective approach.

You will need the DA, backing plate, a polish line such as Menzerna or Meguair's, and some foam polishing pads. You should need 3 basic types of foam pads: heaving polishing, polishing, and finishing and need at least 3 to 4 pads minimum of each type to have enough to do a vehicle. I think most newbie's (I did) skimp on getting pads (get 1 or 2 of each type) because the cost can add up. You need to change pads regularly to get optimum results.

I would avoid kits that focus on just extras like have pad conditioners, pad cleaners, etc. These are nice essential with easy alternatives.

5. CU2MIKE

CU2MIKE Guest

I find most "kits" come with the PCXP + backing plate + pads, but I would stay away from the kits that has 6 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads. If detailer's domain can sell you a kit with PCXP + 5 inch backing plate + 5.5 inch pads, then that would be most ideal. I find 6.5 inch pads a tad too big for a DA such as the PCXP. You may also want to get some 4 inch pads with 2 3/8" (i think?) backing plates for tight spots. Or you can order the Griot's Garage 3 inch polisher for dedicated tight spot polishing. (The GG3 comes with lifetime warranty)
    You might want to look into a GG6 also, similar priced to PCXP, has more power + lifetime warranty.