Surf City Garage Pacific Blue Review

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Reflect, May 20, 2010.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I had the opportunity to test out Surf City Garage Pacific Blue Wash and Wax yesterday. I'll start of saying that for what it is, it's a really nice soap. After washing my friend's truck that hasn't been waxed in a long time, I noticed some beading. It rinsed clean yet left a QD style shine behind. This is definitely not a pre-wax type soap as it leaves the surface with a gloss layer. It was pretty damn slick, and I used less than 2 gallons of solution to wash an F-150. Overall, I really like this stuff. The smell is really nice too. It has like a fruity/tropical/beach smell that's hard to define.

Instructions go as follows

4 capfulls per gallon of soap per gallon (1/3oz per capfull = 1 1/3 oz per gallon)

You can get a 16oz for $8.99, which isn't bad for say, but there are definitely more economical washes out there. At $16.99 it's a much better deal for 2 Liters, but comes out to around $30 bucks a gallon or so, which still isn't bad. If it came in a gallon size for something like $25 bucks or less, it'd be really nice. It tends to need to be more concentrated than some other soaps too.

So the ratings

Ease of use 5/5 (It's soap!)
    Lubricity 4.5/5
    Gloss 4/5
    Price 3/5

Overall, it's definitely worth giving it a shot. It'll most likely stay on my shelf as it's a nice soap and easily accessible in stores. Definitely a better buy than Gold Class regardless of the price. If they offered a larger size or more concentrated formula I feel it'd be a better buy, but as of now it's decently priced.

2. rcalcaide

rcalcaide Virgin Detailer

+1! Nice gloss and slick. I use it as my go to soap for my daily drivers. Great smell too!

3. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Nice review. It's a damn decent wash soap, but I don't like how you need 1.25oz per gallon of water. This stuff by the gallon becomes expensive, considering you can get a gallon of PB Super Slick & Wax for $40 a gallon and it's only 1oz per 2 gallons of water.

Pricing and dilution aside, I agree that it's a nice wash soap that will get the job done and leave the car looking shiny.

4. Reflect

Dilution and price are a pretty big setback, but considering we pay $300 for wax it's hard to complain haha. The soaps I'm comparing it to are CWG and CWC, which are pretty damn economical. If you need something over the counter, I'd go for Pacific Blue over everything I've tried.

5. Reflect

Addition: This stuff works really nice in a foam cannon. REALLY nice. It's not the most cost effective option, but just food for thought.