Shoppers Drug Mart- Horsehair Leather Brush

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by luke093, Feb 3, 2011.

1. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I may have found a steal! at only $5, I opened it up and played with t for a bit and found shedding, but after a while it stopped (wonder what people thought when walking by me...) but this thing looks like a quality built brush.

While, I didnt buy it today, I will when I go back another time. Its quite large, but I feel it would do a great job on cleaning leather seats when using foam or spray cleaners.

Check it out for yourself next time, its by Kiwi and its 100% Horsehair.

2. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

Pictures!!!

3. epic32

epic32 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

link too!

4. blackgn

blackgn Virgin Detailer

Thanks for the info. A SDM is only a couple minutes away from where I live... will have to check it out this weekend.

5. bakchoi

bakchoi Birth of a Detailer

i've seen it at walmart. its pretty soft. was like 7-10$ though

i think looks like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

^ That the one! But it was $4.99

7. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I think you might find that the ends of the bristles become too soft when wet to be of any real use. When you use a brush on leather you are not using it to scrub the dirt out but just to agitate the product so that it can get into the grain pattern to lift the dirt. If you use a brush and the bristles are soft then they simply bend on the surface and cannot do this.
    A stiff bristled brush used gently will work really well on leather and you can get thses for as little as
    0.18p from any supermarket.

Hope this helsp

Judyb

8. Gatehouse

Gatehouse Virgin Detailer

I actually jumped on the chance to get one of these a while ago!

I found the brissles were much too soft.

9. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Im with Judyb on this as well -

Horsehair is great, but it does soften alot when wet and unless there are thousands of bristles very close together, its not going to be as good as those little brushes PAC sells for cleaning leather.

In my experiences, the only brush that works great when wet and is soft, are the Boars hair brushes, but again, needs lots of closely spaced bristles to do good for my needs.

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

10. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Do you guys really use a horsehair brush to clean seats?

I have one but I can't even imagine using it for cleaning. It's WAYYY too soft and really won't do much at all.

11. StanVanDam

StanVanDam Virgin Detailer

This exact brush came with a shoe cleaning kit I bought 4 years ago. The bristles are very soft. I use it often with lukewarm running water to clean my slip-on leather shoes and my soccer cleats - the brush works fine for that.

I don't see this brush being useful on cloth or leather seats. The bristles are much too soft to be of any use. I could see the potential in using it to lightly scrub an alcantara or suede headliner (found inside some luxury vehicles), since they are very sensitive and ripping one of those would be an expensive mistake.