Scratches in glass

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by richy, Jun 27, 2008.

1. richy

richy Guest

I've been contacted by the local Infiniti dealer to try to remove some scratches in a rear window. (He's told me that he has budgeted for a new one anyway, so even if I make it worse he doesn't care.) Would wet sanding, wool pad and PG do the trick? That's what I was thinking although I've never tried removing scratches from glass before. It's a no-lose situation, so I can try some aggressive methods if need be.

2. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've had good luck with the DP High Performance Glass Restorer and the LC Glass Polishing Pads that have abrasives in them. You might also want to look at the Diamondite products from AG. I obtained both items from them some time ago and it really does make a difference. Good luck with whatever route you go.

3. richy

richy Guest

Thanks..I've been looking at the DP glass pad or the cerium kit from caswell. I wonder which one will be more aggressive?

4. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I have used the cerium kit from Caswell Plating...works great...Now it will not take out serious scratches...more or les the lite stuff like wiper trails ..

if the scratches are to deep and you try to polish them out you can get wavy glass...will not take pits out either..just make them more unnoticable by rounding the edges down...

you will not polish out deep scratches and have it not show the wavy glass to a point

AL

5. Charlies02GLS

Charlies02GLS Jedi Nuba

I've used the cerium kit from Caswell as well, I actually had a much easier time using the LC kit with my DA to remove wiper trails.

I'd be willing to send the cerium powder to you since I'm not planning on using it anymore if you'd be interested in it. I'm a hop, skip, and a jump from the border so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to mail to Canada.

Charlie