Quick trick for RainX users.

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by JoeyV, May 16, 2011.

1. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I've noticed that a lot of people dislike RainX for its lack of durability and have found a way to make this very inexpensive product last much longer, hoping this will help those who are on a budget when it comes to detailing supplies or simply cut costs for others.

Products:

Car shampoo
    Mash mitt
    Clay bar + WINDEX (oooooooh, big scary windex, lol)
    Window polish of your choice
    Stoner's invisible Glass (aerosol)
    RainX
    Rotary or DA
    Black Polishing Pad (CCS or Flat)
    Applicator pad
    Microfiber cloths
    Custom tray (explanation follows)

Process:

To begin, wash the car and windows/glass as you normally would. Then, clay the window using windex as lube. Tape off the window trim if you don't want marks any on the car or to damage the trim. Polish the glass with your trio of DA or Rotary + Black Pad + window polish of your choice. Remove tape and clean glass with Stoner's Invisible Glass. Apply RainX to the glass as directed on the bottle. For sides and back glass, the process ends here,

Here is the trick part. Remove the wipers and place them in your custom tray so that the blades can sit in a shallow pool of RainX and leave them there for 5 minutes so they can absorb some of the product. Remove them from the tray and wipe them off. Reinstall on the car. Presto! Longer lasting RainX application!

The idea is pretty simple: soaking the wiper blades in RainX and letting them absorb it has the effect of always adding a tiny layer of RainX to the glass when using them in the rain (the only time RainX is important, is really when it's raining). Having properly cleaned, decontaminated and perfectly polished glass just makes their task easier. Without polishing my windshield or even claying it, I've had my RainX last 2 months so far with this trick and it's still going pretty strong. This is with 2 out of 3 of the last weeks constantly raining here.

Hope this helped! :)

(Mods, move this to the appropriate place if this is not it, thank you)

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I guess that is cheaper then buying Rain-x wipers, thanks!

3. jjl

jjl Birth of a Detailer

Cool I will try this out, I also find rain-x is not fun to buff off so I use a very lightly damp towel to do an initial wipe. Not sure if it hurts the durability but I apply rain-x pretty often since it beads rain away the best initially and I love seeing that.

4. JoeyV

I've tried them and like all wiper, they wear away too quickly. I change my wipers every 4-5 months so it's not worth it for me to buy the more expensive ones, and extending the life of a $5 bottle of RainX saves in the long runs vs. a $10 single application of Aquapel.

The RainX shouldn't be hard to buff off if you apply a thin coat like they suggest.

5. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Thanks for sharing that.

6. CaliforniaBoy5

CaliforniaBoy5 Virgin Detailer

If anyone has a BigLots around them, I've always found RainX there for less than 2 dollars! Or i've seen it at amazon for less than 2 dollars too.

7. JoeyV

^WOW! That's an amazing price! I was using 4% as a reference point since I don't know what everyone pays around the world for it. Here in Canuckistan, I pay $5.99 + tax for it. I wonder if Amazon.ca has it...

8. I VIK I

I VIK I Two Bucket System Washer

Price wise like someone mentioned 2 bucks for a bottle isnt bad, but if you look around you can get aquapel for 9-10 bucks for a set of 4. No need to reapply and it last for 6 months atleast. Rain-x since its alcohol based I believe might dry out the wiper blades and cause them to crack but I could be wrong. OP how have the wipers held up?

9. jjl

jjl Birth of a Detailer

Cambodian tire sometimes discounts it half off, that was when I last bought my 16oz trigger bottle.

I still use cotton towels to buff on/off , do you use mf? Maybe I should set aside some of my retired paint mfs for rain-x. Thin coat in instructions... I wonder if they have a new formula/label. I only remember them recommending a double spray for initial application, which all my friends do since they don't maintain the rain-x. These glass coatings keep those pesky wiper streak paths on the windshield from developing, I hate seeing that.

10. JoeyV

In Canada, I haven't found Aquapel for less than $10 for 1 treatment. As for drying out the wiper blades, I couldn't tell you since, as I mentioned, I change my wipers every 4-5 months since they wear out regardless of what product I use. I grab the cheapest priced wipers and change regularly to constantly have fresh wipers.

Good to know about the 50% the offer.

I think you are not referring to the same RainX as I am. The one I'm talking about is an 8 oz bottle and it isn't a spray, it is a liquid "pour" type bottle. I apply it with a yellow foam applicator pad and buff it off with a micro fiber cloth.

Like this one:
    [​IMG]

11. JKL

JKL Virgin Detailer

Good idea, I'll give it a try next time.

12. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

2.98 at the local CVS pharmacy which I though was weird. Ive never had issues with rainX.

I clay, use Zaino glass polish, then IPA and then treat the windows. Works fine.

I also have used MPL on windows, works just as well.