Product Review: Duragloss 751 Rain Repel

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by krshultz, Jul 19, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Product Name: Duragloss 751 Rain Repel Glass Cleaner
    Price: $8.95 at the local Car Quest
    Size: 22oz
    Amount used during application: two sprays per half of a windshield; one-two sprays for the typical side window
    Dilution ratios: N/A
    Label appearance: Yellow label on a white spray bottle, with typical Duragloss graphics on it. Front label mentions "Also formulated for detailing painted surfaces. Removes dust and road film without scratching."
    Directions or Application process: Straight from the back label:
    1. Spray onto surface.
    2. Wipe dry with cloth or towel
    3. For heavily soiled surfaces repeat above.
    NOTE: RECOMMENDED FOR EXTERIOR SURFACES ONLY
    Ease of use: Well, it's a glass cleaner, so pretty easy. :) Make sure and read the "Cons" section below though, because it's not quite so simple as that.
    Smell / Scent: It's a pleasant smell, but I'm having a hard time placing it. Bubble gum maybe?
    Consistency: About what you would expect of glass cleaner in a spray bottle
    Cleaning Ability: 3 out of 5. For lightly dirty windows, it's just fine. This isn't the product to use if you're trying to fix really bad and/or waterspotted windows.
    Lubricity: N/A while it's going on, but once you have it down on the window, it's very, very slick.
    Suds: N/A
    PH: Don't know
    Appearance PICS would be great! Well, I didn't take any pictures, because you all know what clean glass looks like.
    Durability: Three weeks and counting on the windows of my F250.

Pros: If you're after a glass cleaner that gives you the "Rain-X Effect," without the hassle of using regular Rain-X (which I think we all kind of hate), this stuff is excellent. Cleaning ability is rather good; it's not going to remove heavy water spotting, but neither do Invisible Glass or Sprayway. That's not what this stuff is for.

I haven't used it as a detail spray, but the label claims that you can. So that's a possible upside to this stuff.

Another interesting use of 751 that Sal pointed out to me is using it in the windshield washer bottle reservoir, under your hood. "Use 1:1 in auto windshield washers to maintain repellency" is what the label says to do. I haven't tried this yet, because the reservoir in the 250 is freaking huge, and it's not empty yet.

Really, the biggest "pro" is the way this stuff repels water once it's down on your windshield. At speeds any faster than 30mph or so in my F250, water starts to move off the windshield. Similar for the side windows. The durability of the rain repellent appears to be excellent, with mine sitting at three weeks and counting, applied to the F250, which lives outdoors. Creates no problems for windshield wipers - no chatter or streaking or anything.

Cons: I'm not sure if this is really a fair thing to call a "con," but you do have to use a different product for the inside of windows, so you're stuck using two separate glass cleaners.

The other "con" is more noteworthy. I find that in hot weather, this stuff can haze a bit, particularly if I use it with a window-specific towel (the ones with no pile on them, they're usually blue). There's a solution though. I have the best results using a yellow Costco microfiber towel (or other "normal" towel), rather than one of the window-specific towels I usually use.

Overall Comments: I like 751 a lot. It darn sure works as advertised! Better rain repellent qualities than MS Enviro-Shield, which JL and I both talk about often. I'll no longer be using Enviro-Shield on glass, now that I've found this stuff.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best): 4/5. As much as I'd like to give this stuff a 5, I can't. The hazing issue can be a bit of a hassle, so that's what keeps this product from getting perfect marks. Don't let that dissuade you though - if you use a "normal" microfiber towel with it (as I described above), rather than a glass towel, the hazing issue goes away.

2. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

$9 for 22oz's....not bad, I'll have to stop by Carquest and try it out. :popcorn:

:shead:When you speak of this haze, are you talking about the initial removal ? :shead:eek:r maybe days later its Hazing?

3. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Initial removal with a glass towel. A quick (and I mean quick - it's not much work) buff gets rid of it all. No haze forms over time either.

4. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Well what I do is clean exterior windows, dry then apply heavy coats of xxxxx..... go on about your biz of washing/claying. then after final rinse with product xxxxx still on the windows, wipe windows dry with a big ole COTTON towel(no fabric softner)

This my freind will end your hazing problems and it still last a month(unless you use alot of windshield wiper fluid)

5. richy

richy Guest

Damn, Karl, another product for me to try..good review.

6. FJF

FJF Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've been using DG RR for ~3 years. Let's just say that I never let it run out. Highly recommended.

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Thanks for the review Karl, might have to try this out.

8. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Thanks Karl this is a product I really want to try

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Sounds good, so far I've been applying the same combo 601 & 105 on glass but this sounds good.

10. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Update!

I think it was Sal that brought it to my attention that you can put this stuff in your windshield washer bottle. The label instructs a 1:1 ratio, so I emptied the washer bottle on the F250, and mixed up some 751 with an equal amount of distilled water. The weather has been kind of crummy around here lately, so it's been a good time to test this.

All I can say is wow! It works every bit as well as my usual washer bottle mix of plain old blue washer fluid plus P21S washer booster. And, it maintains the water repellency of the windshield, rather than washing it off like standard washer fluid seems to. What a great idea!

One question I've got pertains to the winter months - specifically, is this stuff safe to use in sub-freezing temperatures, or will it freeze solid like straight water would? So, I've put a sample of it (at 50/50) in the freezer to see. It's set to about 30 deg. F. in there, so if it freezes, we can safely assume that this trick shouldn't be used during the winter in colder climates.

11. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

I imagine it wouldn't freeze as ****X and those type products have a hi alcohol content. :drinking2:

12. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Nice. This could be a solution to the cost of Aquapel, even though I loves Aquapel very much so.

Thanks for the review Karl!

13. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

The verdict is in: it's frozen solid.

So...if you're going to use DG751 as a windshield washer fluid, don't use it in sub-freezing temperatures. Switch back to your regular fluid with antifreeze properties in it.

14. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

hmm. ok. thanks. i use the p21s stuff and appy aquapel which lasts a few months. I guess i'll stick with that.

15. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Ooops,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :giggle:

16. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

#751 is good.. but cant last long like aquapel though ... hehe

sorry to hear that it frozen