Places to Cover

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by er1k, Mar 23, 2008.

1. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

I know that while cleaning an engine you need to cover up some parts that are not meant to be covered in water, and I know that depending on the engine these parts can be in different areas. But what is it that is needed to be covered? How do you cover it?

Thank you.

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Some will argue it's not needed but I take precautions and cover:

Alternator
    Starter
    Air intake
    Fuse box (older vehicles pn;y)
    Distributor

I use either the plastic bags used to bag your groceries or shower caps

3. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

4. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

If you're insistent on using a pressure washer, this is what I would cover...

Battery terminals,
    Air Intake/MAF,
    Alternator,
    Distrubitor

Any exposed or weak electric parts would be covered up with a plastic bag and some elastic bands.

From there go nuts with a degreaser, soak, scrub, rinse and and dry and dress.

5. Denzil

Denzil Guest

It might be a more expensive option but aluminum foil will work pretty well too.

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

yep, I also cover up the fans...

7. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

What's wrong with using a spray bottle (with your favorite cleaner) and a toothbrush to clean the worst places and then use a water bottle with water in it to rinse? At least that way you wouldn't have to worry about shorting anything out.

I've been fortunate enough to encounter cars with relatively clean engine bays so a wipe down with spray and wipe usually cleans everything up nicely.

8. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Any Rag Vehicle Washer

This is what I am planning on doing for my own vehicles. I haven't tried it yet.

But the trouble in my case is, I would have to take the car to the car wash, let the engine cool down somewhat. Get the car in the car wash during a time when it is not busy. And then start cleaning using their soap and such for the rest of the car. And use my own cleaners for the engine and tires. Which could take quite a while to do. Then drive back home. Clean it again with ONR. Then start with the polish and such.

I suppose if I go the spray bottles route, I can have card board pieces to absorb up the drippings from the engine detail. But can't really do the same for the wheels since the amount of water involved will be a lot more.

How do the DIYers (i.e. don't have their own cleaning facilities) in Calgary do their details?

9. FMJ

FMJ Any Rag Vehicle Washer

maybe cling wrap would work nice too, like the hard to rearch edge area...

10. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Foil is the best as you can shape it and it won't blow off. Then it comes off easy when you are finished. Cling wrap may melt as you should warm the engine up before starting to loosen the grease.

11. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Any wire connetor I see I cover, I cover the Alt, Battery, Ignition module, and fuse boxes. I use plastic bags, shower caps and aluminum foil

12. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

as a no brain, don't know anything guy (me), is there any pics of these area that you should cover to show show what these look like..????? hehe..pllss..??