OK, admit it..... You have tried turtle wax Ice

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Kilo6_one, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ok, this thread is not for bashing products or others.......

Honestly, I want to know if you have ever seen a product such as turtle wax ice, colored car wax etc......... (whatever we consider corny OTC crap)

be honest, nothing wrong with seeing something at walmart or pepboys and wanting to try it.

Did it do what it said, did it suck? did you keep buying it and using it but with the garage door? Do you hide it in your collection pictures?

Ill start, Yes, I did buy turtle wax ice, and honestly it was not bad...... it actually is a nice trim dressing, and can be used on any surface.

2. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

So funny. Saw it at target on sale and almost bought it for shits and gigs.

3. 01GreyStangGT

01GreyStangGT Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I liked the versatility but did not like the beading. It didn't last that great either.

4. onebaucom

onebaucom Birth of a Detailer

The OTC stuff was all I used to use and then I found this website. Now I have no money from buying all new stuff, but a great looking jeep! :thumb:

5. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I still have some of there stuff, wax didn't last, detail spray wasn't bad at all as it left a gloss finish.

6. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

i used turtle wax paste wax before i joined detailing forums.

i know that stuff lasted about a week or one wash. Maybe it was due to improper prep/decontamination or maybe it was a bad product. Hard to tell anymore, I still have the jar of it in my basement.

7. TLMitchell

TLMitchell Birth of a Detailer

I had a coworker that used it on his new truck. Followed the directions and put it on the paint, tonneau cover, trim.... everything but glass and tires I guess. It actually looked pretty good for a while. He was happy as a clam it was easy to use. Personally not my choice but it obviously works fine for some.

TL

8. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

I tried TW Ice. Looks great on my white Subie... Last until the next time it rains or you wash it

9. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

so did mine. but it wasnt turtle wax ice. it was the original green container paste wax. I even clayed my car thoroughly and rinsed before application and the next week when i went to wash it there was no beading or anything. it sucked.

10. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

I remember buying something a long time ago (about 10 years) that was a colored wax and then with it came with a colored crayon type stick where you could basically color in and fill scratches....I was about 14-15 and was starting to get into washing my sisters car for her...I didn't know better. don't remember the outcome but I can't imagine good.

11. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

it was ok until i forgot to buff it and the car went hazy and then my then solution was to add more but it never worked lololololol

12. Kilo6_one

It actually works really well on tires and plastic trim, as for longevity it is pretty crappy, I will agree.

One product that actually has peaked my interest lately is Armour all buttery wax..... sort of embarrassed to buy it though,.

13. svpro

svpro Birth of a Detailer

Actually , I have used it back in 1998, is not a bad product..consider before i been introduced to high end product...but it smell like full of chemical..and it lasted quite a while...

14. svpro

svpro Birth of a Detailer

Well.. I kept of full supply of the OTC product in my cabinet .rather is the dollar stuff, or purchased from retail store, but of course I am also very loyal to what I always use, SV as well.

The reason behind this is simple.

1. I just want to experience with the compare the OTC to SV or another other wax

2. To complete some very cheap detail (I don't like to leave money on the table!) If my client only can afford for example 75.00 detail, I will definite use the OTC product, because it will do the job within the budget, and they usually don't look for long lasting or showroom restoration

3. Sometimes I have a habit of picking up clearance stuff at store, and some of the product is not bad for OTC

15. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish is my go to prior car shows. It is very easy to apply, you can use it on trim, wheels, paint and tires. Gives the paint a very wet and glossy look, while making it very slick. It is cheap and OTC. I keep it in my trunk bag and can do the whole car in 15 mins.

I only use it prior to car shows and for this purpose only. Durabilty stinks!

16. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

My #1 issue with ice, is that it comes with a long oval applicator and the jar is small and round. Plus the jar has a lip on the inside which can scrape off the wax that you just got on the applicator... Bad packaging

17. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

I actually have a decent stockpiling of OTC crap.And,I havent purchased OTC item in 15 years. LOL. I ll detail a new customers car,they love it, and they turn around and give me all the crap they bought in attept at doing the job themselves. LOL. Turtle wax ice car soap SUCKS! The wax didnt wow me. I do however enjoyed using Megs Tech Wax NXT.Some guy I detailed a Vette for gifted me that. It honestly didnt suck. Another weird one was the Turtle Wax Wet n Black tire gel,it was like applying liquid asphalt, so thick and its already tinted black in the container.UGH!
    The area in my garage where all these item are stored is named "Jeffrow". I have a good friend who I love dearly,he is a cheap prick, and thinks detailing is what people do when they hack wash n vac a car in my driveway in 90* full sun heat while having beers with other buddies. His name is Jeff and thats his row.Nothging but the good stuff for a good buddy that doesnt respect our art. LOL

18. Kilo6_one

NXT wax is a really good product if you ask me..........Ive used that for years, and it yields surprising results.

Another product that I think is pretty legit is megs cleaner wax, in the burgandy bottle.

19. tfish1

tfish1 Birth of a Detailer

I love the nxt line as well way under rated their shampoo is great and the paste wax i have 3 tubs

20. Kilo6_one

yeah, i use NXT shampoo on my truck........outstanding product.