Looks like ive got me a free Flex Rotary!

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by GIZTO29, Jun 13, 2010.

1. GIZTO29

GIZTO29 Virgin Detailer

I do Architectural Metalwork, mainly stainless steel stuff and was surprised the other day when we got a new pipe sander/polisher and it turned out to be a Flex machine. It was only a few days before i first seen the L503vr Rotary on another site and couldnt help notice the similarities. The rotary is identical apart from obviously it doesnt have the cast arms and the 3 wheels.
    Heres a few pics..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway the next day as soon as i got to work i set about removing the central wheel to see if there was an M14 thread to locate a backing plate. Upon removal there was exactly that!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also i looked at the rpm and theyre the same as the rotary.

[​IMG]

As you can see also the 2 allen bolts that hold on the arms can be removed and thats where the handle goes if you want it on.

[​IMG]
    Obviously i wont have that option but on a weekend i can take the machine home and use it as a rotary:buffer::buffer::D Typical, ive just bought a silverline silverstorm from amazon aswell.:lol: I know the lowest rpm seems fast but i know someone who uses that machine and has no bother. Upon further inspection on the small silver sticker it is indeed a 1503 vr...maybe i shouldve looked there first lol
    Update, ive now got a handle from a 4" angle grinder and have bought 2 flexipad backing plates so im ready to rock with the Flex and Silverstorm. Happy Days!

Thanks for looking, Phil

2. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Congrats, but be careful with that low setting.

I've been told that you don't need really low rpms to burnish the paint (by a reputable detailer that visits this site), but I can't seen to finish without with a rotary without a low rpm setting (I'm still new at this correction stuff). I suggest practicing with a scrap panel first.

3. GIZTO29

GIZTO29 Virgin Detailer

Yeh, caution is the word and i havnt actually used a rotary yet! I will use the Silverline Silverstorm ive just bought first then once im competent with that i'll try the Flex. I didnt even know this model existed as the one im familiar with that our local detailing company uses is the 3403. Im going to the scrapyard this week to get a victim (bonnet)
    Thanks, Phil