Halogen Light setup

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by dtaildood, Mar 24, 2009.

1. dtaildood

dtaildood Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Is a Halogen light setup almost useless being used outside to reveal imperfections and/or final finish? Im guessing it will be fine due to the extreme up close light output and it will show all regardless inside or out. Anyone? :)

2. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I'm a little confused to what you are asking, but I'll take a stab. Halogens are one of your best friends when it comes to detailing. I have a 2 halogen tripod light (Sears Craftsman) that I use whenever polishing. I also have a 1 light halogen light for that can be used to cover all surfaces of the car. They work very well outside even when I have all my lights on in the garage. As with any light for polishing, it takes a little practice and bending your body in different ways to pick up on the swirls and imperfections. I keep them a couple of feet away when doing side panels and when doing top surfaces, I raise them all the way up and tilt the heads down. I move them on the sides and move them after doing a panel at a time. So, I'll cut the driver's side door up into 3-4 sections (depending upon size), and polish each section. Then, when moving up to front quarter panel, I'll move the lights and polish that panel. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if this helps.

3. dtaildood

dtaildood Any Rag Vehicle Washer

That was a great explanation as to how you use your lighting to your advantage! I was just basically wondering if bringing the halogens outside for use, that the light output would get washed out a bit due to outsides natural lighting. I assume it wouldnt as doing carpentry for a while Ive used them many a times in and outside and their very powerful. Just curious as Im about to go to Harbor Freight to pick up a nice little setup!

4. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I have actually used halogens outside on a sunny day and they actually do help with identifying swirls, at least for me anyways.

5. merlin3008

merlin3008 Birth of a Detailer

I've found hat they do add value outside, although a little less when the sun is very bright. Sometime I have to get t hem closer to see the imperfections though so just be mindful of the temperature of the body panel. Those puppies put out some heat.