gtechniq products

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Tessie33, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Tessie33

Tessie33 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hey guys, I have been working with a small used car dealership that specializes in mostly low milage audi, BMWs, mercedes, and porsche. he mentioned to me that a lot of his customer are now looking for the same extras that come with buying a car at a dealership. I think that the one he is most interested in is some kinds of paint protection for the exterior and interior. my first suggestion was gtechniq products. I have never used them so I am wondering to those who have used them how do you like them and do you think that this would fit his needs. If you do I am also wondering how many cars do you think you could get out of a 410 ml bottle of EXO Ultra Durable Hybrid Coating? Thank You in Advance for you help.

2. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I think Optimum is probably your best choice for something like this. Proven long term durability! ;)

3. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

+1 I agree

4. Tessie33

Tessie33 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I agree to. Opti-coat is Somthing that we are going to offer. But the thing that I like about the gtechniq exo is that it is advertised to work on paint,glass,rims, carpet,and soft tops,Which opti coat cannot. I am trying to figure out if it would be worth carrying exo in my regiment and offering it as a whole car protection or just sticking with opti coat by itself. Also, which is easier to apply opti coat or exo? And if I decide no on the exo does anyone have any suggestions on a interior sealant?

5. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Well Optimum does make specific coatings for those surfaces, but it you want one product that is supposed to do all, then EXO may be a good option. I tried the original GTechniq C1 coating a while back and it was not the most user friendly. I also tried some of there polishes, which were ok, but haven't pulled the trigger on EXO yet. I have a few people whose opinion I trust that like it, but it still doesn't compare to Opti-Coat pro in terms of durability. I would maybe look at offering it as an optional coating for higher end cars. I currently offer OC Pro and CQuartz Finest in the same fashion. ;)

6. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

Gtechniq v.1 (the aerosol can) was widely rumored to be a a re-badged version of Kancoat (Google is your friend, sometimes). There is now a v.2 version which is a liquid in a bottle. I don't know much about v.2 as it is new to the market but I believe it is also an organic-inorganic hybrid. EXO v.1 proved to be quite vulnerable to a number of chemical attacks and also had some rather specific application requirements (surface temperature between 20C - 30C although up to 40C is said to be acceptable, hyper clean surfaces and kept dry for 24 hours). I suggest more research and perhaps not looking for a universal panacea.
    The whole realm of exotic coatings is an area of rapidly evolving technology and new products and/or new companies (in some cases just new marketing/distribution shells) are appearing quite regularly.

7. Fenderpicks

Fenderpicks Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I really liked the Gtechniq EXO v1
    I used it on my 04 Ranger and the way it feels is AMAZING. When i wipe the truck dry it is so effortless and glide like glass on the paint with my towel.

But obviously the price tag on a can of EXO is ridiculous.
    And i just found out about Kancoat from the poster @ above. Only if i can buy them in a good price, i'd use this on every car i get a chance to

8. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

There are some new hybrid organic-inorganic products in the pipe from companies other than Gtechniq. From what I understand the main selling points will be looks and water behavior more than durability but they still should last six to twelve months. Gtechniq EXO v.2 is out in the UK @ £33.29 (including VAT) for 30ml. It is said to be more resistant to alkaline chemicals, able to be applied at lower temps and have a much faster cure time. The downside is that once opened a bottle only is good for two weeks so you need to use it quickly (it reacts with water vapor in the air). The aerosol can solved some problems but jacked up the price since it has to be shipped as hazardous goods.

9. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I am skeptical of products with wild claims too, but if you've researched the EXO online and seen some videos of its water behavior, it's pretty impressive. The hydrophobicity definitely stands out compared to other products.

10. Fenderpicks

I tried the EXO v1, and it was simply AMAZING. The way it beads / sheets and when i wipe dry with my big MF drying towel.

However i did have problem applying C1... The instruction says to wipe off after 60 seconds, but it kept smearing, and super sticky....

11. MelF1fan

MelF1fan Birth of a Detailer

I had the opposite with C1. That must the the old / original C1? The current version C1 is not like that, pretty much wipe on a panel then wipe off and no smears or high spots.
    The gloss is very good and I find it repels water and dirt very well - better than OC. We'll see on durability.

Actually, i've gotten a little bit of smearing with EXO v2, maybe because it cures so fast you have to be quick with it but the slickness is beyond belief good grief.

12. Fenderpicks

i have no idea if my C1 is old or new....
    I traded it off from someone on Meguiars Forum....

i tried applying on the hood of a Mini Cooper, it kept smearing when i try buff off.... super sticky on the paint.... idk whats wrong.