detailing in this heat wave!

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by pure, Jul 7, 2012.

1. pure

pure Virgin Detailer

I know summer is always hot! Just wanting to see how everyone is fairing in this heat? Has anyone had to change techniques due to the heat and or products, tools? It's about 100 outside here in kc!

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Guys drink lots of water.......... I know I joke about the heat, but we get dry heat, back east you guys are getting the humidity so your heat index is higher, plus the humidity can be deadly.

I read that somewhere has gone a week without power.

Be safe!

as for your question, I have fans in my garage, drink lots of water, gatorade, no sodas, nothing salty.

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Yeah. I was supposed to detail today, but the were calling for triple digit heat. So i cancelled the job and told the guy we would have to reschedule.

4. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Texas it's always hot!!!! Water, moisture wicking clothes and garage.... git r dun!!!!

5. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I use BIG fans all over the garage. Helps a little. however, anything that gets done outside in the sun (washing, decon, etc)...is such a pain in the ass.

6. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Has that been the average in KC for the past week? It's been about 108* all week in STL

... And I'm fat so I've had swoobs all week!

7. pure

pure Virgin Detailer

Three digits all week... In the shade! I'm an electrician been in peoples attics all week sweatin balls!
    Had a couple cars I was supposed detail mobile and had to cancel for the heat today!

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Finally got warm here. 85 in my shop today. Not used to it as its been so damn cold here. Just had the coldest June on record.

9. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

It sucks!!!

10. Andy6228

Andy6228 Birth of a Detailer

Lots of water and since I'm not a pro I take extra breaks.. Also working early and in the evening helps too

11. Rocket01

Rocket01 Birth of a Detailer

I detailed half of my truck today. I just couldn't handle the humidity. My shirt was soaked in no time and I felt wore out.

Drink lots of water people

12. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I just detail naked it was hotter than crap today. Tomorrow will be hotter and not looking forward to it but have to get done.

13. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

water misting oscliating fan pointed toward ceiling ...regular fan placed next to car .....drink atleast 1 gallon of water. working in basketball shorts and a wife beater and 6am-1 and then back at it from 5-11 to avoid the heat. this will be my third summer detailing in my garage 3-5 days a week so i have a nice system ,,,the heat index here was 110-117 all last week

14. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I forgot to add, lots of breaks.

15. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Fans are great but doesn't that kick up all sorts of dust and dirt onto your freshly washed car? I'm still waiting for the weather to cool down before I even attempt to bust out the Flex again....I need a temperature controlled garage:)

16. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i mop with a damp mop once a day ..no dust issues here

17. DP 08 GXP

DP 08 GXP Any Rag Vehicle Washer

heat index has been 105* the last few days....i dropped about 4 pounds of water weight in the process of washing at 9p since it was still in the high 90's....lots and lots of water was needed for that detail lol

18. lowerthanzimmy

lowerthanzimmy Virgin Detailer

this.

my shop floor is usually wet, so with the fans blowing, im not kicking any dust up. Last weekend i started a black expedition outside, between the 105 heat index and heat coming off the black car i had no choice but to wash it inside the shop.

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

20. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

yeah it's hard to wash a black car with sun on any of the panels.

the water just evaporates and so does the soap...lol

got to work extra quick and in small sections...wash and rinse right away.

yesterday was 40 C (104 F), i was melting in my house, no A/C