Car wash shampoo recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by jason827, Jul 28, 2011.

1. jason827

jason827 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hi DB members,

I have been using Poorboy's Super Sick as my car wash shampoo over the past 2 years. The product is great and gives you a lot of foam with very little use of product. I chose the Poorboy's instead of CG citrus wash because I don't want anything too strong that would strip off the wax of a vehicle. But I have started to doubt the cleaning ability of the Super Sick. I have been comparing Super Sick to Turtle's shampoo and found little difference between the two products with respect to the cleaning ability.

So I am now in the market searching for an alternative washing shampoo that is able to generate both foam and strong cleaning ability.

All recommendations are welcome

2. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Adams Shampoo.
    I like it. Lots of foam

3. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

CG Maxi-Suds II

Good cleaning power, highly affordable, lots of suds, super slick.

Many people will praise Majestic Solutions soap too.

4. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I think you need to decide what you want to accomplish with each wash. I usually want to clean my car with as little degradation of my LSP. For that I use the Lusso. Very Mild, smells good, good foam, cleans well and safe on the LSP. I tried it on the reccommendation of 2 top guys in the industry who love it.

I use the Porboys Super Slick and Suds when I use my foam cannon. I can't say it is as mild or not but I have not had any issue with is hurting my LSP. I seems to clean well and it very economical.

I use Dawn to strip the LSP before Polishing.

I have used Ultima Shampoo, P21 soap, Mothers California Gold and they were also very good, foamed well and did not seem to hurt the LSP. Other than scent, these are all equal in my opinion. Right now I am using up everything but th Lusso on DD and saving the Losso for my Garage queen. Once I deplete the stock I will make a decision.

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

6. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Strip and Clean- CG Citrus Wash and Clear at a higher dillution (also can be used safe at 1oz/5gal)

Maintain- Magestic Solutions Ultra Gloss,its just that good ;)

7. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Meguiar's Hyper Wash and 1Z Auto-Glanz are 2 of my favorites.

Car-Lack 68 Shampoo Concentrate is the cleanest rinsing soap I have ever used.

The Sonax shampoo makes some nice foam in a foam cannon.

8. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

I think gentle on LSPs and really strong cleaning action are to some extent mutually exclusive. In the last couple years I've used CG CW&G, CG CWC, DG 901, Optimum Car Wash, Dodo Juice BTBM and P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo along with a couple rinseless or "waterless" shampoos. Out of the conventional shampoos I probably narrowly prefer Optimum closely followed by BTBM but to be honest they are all decent products*. IME none of the shampoos will strip LSPs at the normal recommended dilutions (1 capful to 5gal for CW&G) unless the LSP is pretty wimpy to begin with but in the interest of full disclosure I rarely use waxes other than 845. I think it comes down to personal preference far more more than one product dramatically out performing another.

*There are slight differences but they all clean adequately, foam enough and are slick enough. CG CW&G would get my lowest ranking out of that group simply because it tends to leave a slight film.

9. yamabob

yamabob Two Bucket System Washer

Hope so.I just ordered my first gallon

10. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Hell, if your disappointed I'll buy it off you! Honestly, not sure how anyone could dislike it.

I got a good shampoo record too :p

MS UG
    OPT Car Wash
    CG CWC
    P21S Shampoo
    CG Glossworkz
    Megs Gold Class
    Flash Deep Gloss
    AG Shampoo

Thats how I rank them in order.

11. Chaseme

This thread makes me want to spend money :(

12. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I like Optimum but most every soap is acceptable. Adam's and CG Maxi Suds (at the rated dilutions) worked nicely too --- maintains suds even when dirty. A lot is just the experience (smell, suds, richness feeling, rinsing, etc).

13. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Swissvax Car Bath is one of the best out there. It generates some of the softest suds ever. My top 3 are Prima, Swissvax and Lusso!

14. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

DG 901 for me, super slick and lots of suds.

I actually have to use less amount than recommended b/c it just produces way too much foam.

15. jason827

jason827 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I will go pick up a Duragloss and OPT car wash next week. Appreciate all the suggestions, they are very helpful

16. brandon defeo

brandon defeo DB Forum Supporter

CG maxi/adams
    Optimum
    Lusso
    CG honey dew wash (havent tried yet just got it)
    Sonax

Above in no particular order

17. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

My list of soaps that I use most often:

CG CWG (LSP stripper)
    CG Honeydew (via foam gun)
    Autobrite Magifoam (via foam gun)
    MS UG (Maintenance via 2BM)
    MEGS HW (via foam gun)
    OPT Car Wash (Maintenance via 2BM)
    OPT ONR (pretty much only use it as clay lube)

Not in any particular order.

18. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

Recommending a product you have not even used?

19. Chaseme

I have a review posted in the washing sub-forum on Honeydew. Solid maintenance soap. At the very least a great, cheap alternative for foaming soap. I would probably use a different soap in the bucket though (or mix two).

20. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

I have been using nothing but 1Z Perls for the last 3 years on my cars and my clients cars. Amazing shampoo. Doesn't really have any suds at all but really gentle shampoo and has polymers in it so it basically adds a little wax to your car. It is meant as a once a month shampoo to keep your wax fresh, but I use it every single week. I love it and haven't used much of anything else for a long time. I have had a couple of others ones that have been mentioned on here but keep going back to Perls.