car buying help

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Chas, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

So I will hopefully have a job lined up pretty soon after my recent graduation and I will be looking to buy a new car in the near future probably in the winter given things go right. I currently drive a 2006 2wd Toyota Tacoma 2.4L 4cyl. Its a great truck but just not feasible for the driving I will be doing. I am looking for something fun but still economical as I will probably be commuting a good bit. But I do want some HP. My price range would probably be up to $20K-25K. Here is what I have been thinking...

1. VW GTI
    2. Mazda 3 (Possibly Speed3)
    3. Impreza WRX
    4. Legacy GT
    5. Volvo C30 (might be out of price range)
    6. Volva S40 T5

I really like the idea of a hatchback right now but I am worried I will get out of that phase in a few years, but I will probably just trade it in at that point. The GTI would probably be my first choice then the Mazda 3. Any suggestions help. If I am missing any important criteria in here please let me know I have a million ideas going through my mind right now

2. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Got any other choices...lol J/K :sorry:

I guess out of that line up I would get the VW-GTI :headbang:

:shead: You drive a Taco huh.....How much you want for it :waiting2:

3. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

For 20 - 25k I'd shoot for an M3 :p, but out of that list WRX would be my choice, nice HP, fun to drive and easy on the eyes - I'm not sure how the fuel economy stands up to the rest however.

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I like all the cars mentioned there minus the Volvos ...

Do you really need a new car? Can you get by with a slightly used car (less that 3 years old)? I wouldn't mind having a legacy GT or a Mazdaspeed 6. I like the GTI's and there are a few members here that own one. The mazdaspeed 3's are nice, but it should have been an awd vehicle.

5. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Well the thing with the truck right now is that though it's mine it's technically my dad's since his name is on the title. So I would just be walking away from the truck. But if he were selling it, it would be around $9400-$10,000. It has 50,868 miles as of parking it in the driveway tonight. Here she is...

[​IMG]

The GTI is my favorite but the WRX would be a close second next to the Mazda3

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

GTI or Mazda Speed 3.

7. jfspeed6

jfspeed6 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

WRX STI or Speed3. I love my speed6 that I just picked up a few months ago.

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Go with the GTI you should get it for a pretty decent price as the new ones are due to come out soon, I think in sept/oct (Do not know exactly when but somewhat soon I think) I love mine and have not had issues, just minor. The new TSI motor is improved in the areas were the FSI was having issues such as the high pressure fuel pump, cam follower for the fuel pump and cam lobe for the fuel pump as well as the PCV issues.

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

VW TDI. 800-1200kms per tank depending on the year.

10. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I haven't seen the 2010 yet, but if it were me, I'd get the Mazdaspeed 3. It's a GREAT car. I played around with a 2009 earlier this year and loved it. The shifter is a little ropey, but the rest of the car is brilliant. The interior, the drivetrain, everything about it. I'm also a huge fan of the "standard" Mazda 3 hatchback, and the MS3 is "mo' better." If there are any 2009s left on the lot, I bet you could get a great price on one. The pearl white looks GREAT.

The 2009+ WRX also looks like a heck of a lot of performance for the money, and its all wheel drive would cure the front wheel drive ills of the MS3. I'm not much for Subarus myself, so I'd buy the MS3, but I'm sure the WRX is a great car.

11. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

i know i wouldnt recommend the new lancer to people seeing as how im unsatisfied with it, but there is the Ralliart version which has a small turbo and is all wheel drive(lack of power and AWD is my issues with the regular lancer). Its like a miny Evo and would be better than the Mazda and Subaru at least i think so :shrug:

12. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

The only thing I am worried about is that if I can't afford the MS3 will the power in the regular hatch be enough? I haven't test driven it yet so I don't know for sure but I am wondering if it has enough power compared to the GTI. I feel like the GTI tops it in overall performance.

13. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

I'd have to say the Gti. I'm just partial to German cars eventhough I just defected to the Japanese for the first time in my life.

14. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

Legacy GT Spec B

'Nuff Said. Exhaust + Tune and you have STi power, with the legroom and comfort of the Legacy.

My car may be wicked fast, but it's not as comfortable as a Legacy.

15. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Yeah my friend has one and I love it to death, I like the idea of having a 4-door that has that power, plus its affordable and classy. Now I am really leaning toward this hahaha

16. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

The 2.3L Mazda3 isn't a dog, but obviously, it's nowhere near as quick as a MS3 or a WRX. If you decide you want an MS3, they're an excellent bargain on the used car market, so there's always that option.

17. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

+1. I was surprised no one suggested this yet.

18. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

Is it just a GT? The Spec B has the 6spd and the Bilstein shocks. SUCH A great upgrade over the GT.

Seriously a fun car. I wanna steal his 6spd and put in my car. My 3rd gear is gonna blow up before too long :(

19. cheeseenlo

cheeseenlo Birth of a Detailer

I own an 09 Legacy GT. This car is awesome. The 6spd on the SpecB is definitely leaps above the 5spd on my car. But its still a blast to drive. I love having a 4dr sedan with ample power to haul passengers in the back and not have them complain about legroom. You can get an 09 Legacy SpecB for under 30k, now that the 2010's just starting rolling out onto the lots. Good luck with the car buying.

20. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Is the SpecB available in Canada or the US only? I cant seem to locate one.........