BMW 6 series: Full restoration detail and 20" wheels fitted.

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Ronnie, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Ronnie

Ronnie Birth of a Detailer

Todays client in need of some TLC is a stunning black 6 Series BMW that has been booked in for a restoration detail and a few extras. When the car arrived to us, it suffered from the usual swirling and scratches from general day to day use, the owner also wanted to fit some new wheels and grills whilst she was here. So onto the wash to see what we have to deal with .

As always a full decontamination wash was carried out Firstly to the body then individually to the wheel arches then a final going over the whole vehicle.

Prewash: Orchard Autocare Citrus Preclean.
    Foam: Orchard Autocare Cotton Candy.
    single bucket wash method as the car is in for a full correction detail and we have our wash technique down to a T and feel this is more than sufficient esp with the high quality products we use.
    Iron Decontamination: Orchard Autocare Iron Cleanse
    Tar Removal: Orchard Auto Care Tar Cleanse
    Clay: Zaino Clay.

Now for the pictures:

[​IMG]

Some signs of previous machining.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can tell when Mark is back in Training!! Kids don't play with guns lol!!!
    [​IMG]

Tome to get rid of the tar! Spray on Leave Hose off Job done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once in and dried off we checked the paint depths and the car was good to go, there was some evidence of previous machine polishing from the readings and also a mark on one of the door handles, it wasn't struck through but not far off it so this would have to be carefully masked off then we would repair the damage after to make it all perfect again.
    For correction we used:
    Initial compounding Maguire's microfibre system via DA
    Then followed with Maguire's 105 on a yellow 3M pad via rotary
    Finishing with Megs 205 initially on a yellow 3M pad then finishing with a blue 3M pad

Checking depths you can see how this is important over the next few pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what happens when you don't mask up properly, then its left to us to fix other people's mistakes.
    [​IMG]

Properly masked off and only took a minute to do,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No wet sanding needed here to get an arrow perfect paint finish on an BMW.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grills removed and behind them all cleaned and dressed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that all the correction and refining had been completed, the car was wiped down to check for any remaining marks and if necessary any additional machine work, (We check each panel before we move to the next but a second check ensures nothing is missed)

Then she was brought out into the sun ready to get bathed to remove any work dust and check the finish in the sunshine.

Whilst she was out there, it was time to get to work on the wheels that had been delivered, over a period of days, we had been layering them with several coats of our new Polymer Sealant and also dressing eh new tyres with our tyre dressing, now was time to give them the final few coats and fit them.

Now time to bling the wheels!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once they were cured, we carefully restacked them washed the car down and brought her back in where we used the blowers to dry her down then we removed the original wheel s to get to work on the arches. The car was covered to avoid over spray and we got to work, Checking colour swatches, we matched the colour of the dust guards and shocked and made up cellulose paint and after priming and prepping they were given several coats.

The Callipers were painted gloss black as well as any suspension arms that were painted factory satin black giving a much fresher and as new look.

Suspension Refurbishment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the Suspension was completed, the new wheels were fitted and then it was time to add some wow factor.
    Firstly we added a base of several coats of Orchard Autocare Speed Seal to all surfaces including plastic trims. Once this had properly cured, I added a coat of Valentine's Concours wax that I feel by doing this adds an extra depth and wetness that sealants on their own can't match. Again once this had properly cured, I added a finishing coat of Orchard Autocare Perfection to all surfaces paint plastics and glass including the windscreen. and now time for the afters. I have also added a few arty ones to spice it up a bit so I hope you like them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again thanks for taking time to read through our write up and as always all C&C are welcome

Rollo

2. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

Fantastic job and presentation. Looks better then new.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Looks great! Very nice attention to detail. Those are by far my favorite OEM wheels that were offered on the 6-series.

4. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Awesome work Rollo!

5. blongo804

blongo804 DB Forum Supporter

WOW. No words for this.. Amazing job and attention to detail. This work is something I look up to!

6. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Abso-freakin-lutely, STUNNING. Sheesh.......

7. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

WOW! great job car looks amazing! One question why did you switch from MF pads to 105 and foam pad. I ask because I'm doing same car next week.
    Thanks
    Todd

8. bentley147

bentley147 Jedi Nuba

bmw clearcoats is hard ass hell ,u did good job

9. jb1219

jb1219 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Unbelievable! i dont detail cars...i just come to this forum to see this kind of incredible work!!

10. aowheels

aowheels DB Pro Supporter

Excellent Job!

11. SDMDChris

SDMDChris Birth of a Detailer

Amazing turn around! The wheels really change the look of the car as well! Great job!

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Wow. Just wow.

13. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

That is awesome finishing down work! Incredible Rollo!

14. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Certified tightness, sometimes I get lazy on masking off the cowl areas myself and now I am going to get more masking paper from my local PBE and start doing it again. Dressing the bead is also something that get's overlooked and this thread shows those little things that add up to comprehensive cleaness.

15. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

beauty rollo. stunning stuff as usual

16. Holden

Holden DB Forum Supporter

Pure perfection on your behalf. The results look amazing! :worship2:

17. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

I used to mask off the entire windshield back in the day, but that was when I only used my Makita and sling was a concern

18. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Beautiful car and stunning work...this is the sorta stuff I aspire to.

However...the 6-series is one of the only cars that I think looks better in 4-door form rather than 2-door. Am I just crazy?

19. Ronnie

Ronnie Birth of a Detailer

Many thanks everyone for the great comments realy glad you liked it!

20. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Love seeing your work! How did you paint those calipers? Brush or spray on?