Anything Stronger than Wheel Brightener.

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by kc1337, Mar 19, 2010.

1. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

So today I finally had enough time to remove the wheels on the acura to clean the wheel wells and wheels one by one. I know the barrels were in pretty bad shape because we've had the car since 2001 while I only recently started cleaning the barrels of the wheels last summer.

So after taking the wheels off, I hosed it down and proceeded to use Zep Citrus at 4:1, letting it soak for 1 minute before scrubbing. This didn't do squat so I proceeded to use Zep Citrus at full strength with 1 minute dwell time. Nothing either. Next up, Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner left to dwell for 3 minutes then scrubbing with brush. Little bit better but only marginally.

Then I decided to use Meguiar's Wheel Brightener 4:1 with 1 minute dwell time. This didn't help either, only got rid of a tiny bit of the bake on brake dust so I went Full Strength with 5 minute dwell time. As you can tell from my title, the Full Strength Wheel Brightener didn't work either, it only took down a little of the baked on brake dust but the majority of it stayed on the barrels.

Is there anything stronger than Full Strength Wheel brightener out there available?

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

well if you have access to Auto Magic products i can suggest something that i have used and found to work extremely well in situations like what you are facing now.

3. kc1337

I believe there is an Auto Magic supplier around locally, what product is it?

4. detailjohn

detailjohn Detailers Advertising Scheme

Lacquer Thinner

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

try the sonax wheel cleaner DD sells. seems like it works pretty damn well.

6. hoppy6698

hoppy6698 Birth of a Detailer

7. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

Have you tried the Zep Purple degreaser full strength? I use that (diluted) in combination with Zep Citrus to clean wheels, but I can't imagine what using it straight would be like.

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If Wheel Brightener didn't work you will need an acid based product. There is a Automagic guy locally. Call me tomorrow and I'll dig up his number for you. :)

9. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

Definitely go with AM on this one. Sounds like youre fighting some SERIOUS cakeandbake

10. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

John Conroy 604-418-5294
    111561 Pemberton Crescent, Delta, B.C.
    office 604-951-8848

11. kc1337

Thanks guys, what product should I be inquiring?

I haven't tried Zep Purple, but I've heard that Meguiars Wheel Brightener is some pretty strong stuff so I decided to use it 4:1 and full strength. Barely touched it.

12. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

I would look into Spoke. See if they can decant you a small "sample" so you dont need to purchase the gallon.

13. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

If you can get Ardex products grab some Buster. This stuff is some of the strongest stuff I have ever used, period. Its boarderline paint stripper strong. In fact if you leave them on too long it will actually start to discolor the wheels but nothing I have ever used it on has stood a chance.

14. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

I stand corrected. I agree with ^ I think thats a good choice. I would be ready, fully gloved and goggled, ready to agitate with a small sponge(assuming its not eaten away) once you spray that on..

15. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

Ken said some Goof off from Canadian tire. I need to try that too, I have the same problem as you, kc

16. kc1337

I forgot to mention that after using full strength Meguiars Wheel Brightener, I also tried some

Easy Off
    [​IMG]

Left to dwell for 5 minutes and a wire brush

[​IMG]

This didn't do much to the baked on brake dust either.

17. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

i pm you the safest wheel cleaner to use i just did a test on 3 different rims from mild to wild with dirt grease brake dust grim that has been on for over 3 yrs. i have used alot of stuff an this guy said he give me some sample to try an if it don't work he pay me for it back lol. i'm so impressed i ordering 55 gal. drum an dumping the rest of the stuff i use period. spray on site for a bit hose it off done yes i said same thing bs but i'm now a believer.

18. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Oven cleaner (pH1.0) to clean wheels!

Try something safe to use on auto wheels like Sonax from DD

19. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

That was to remove road tar, not brake dust.

20. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

How about Brown Royal? It's a high alkaline cleaner but it's a monster on baked-on brake dust...strongest alkaline wheel cleaner I've ever used.