Anyone do a black 93/94 supra before?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by aznives3, Jul 13, 2009.

1. aznives3

aznives3 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

So i've got a local guy here with basically a weekend/show supra that he wants done. its black,and is in pretty decent shape that just needs to be brought back to perfection!

Has anyone worked on a black supra before? I read over on autopia that the black supra's are single stage paint, and is fairly soft, and most people reccomended using megs 80 (which is good news to me, i love working with m80!). Can anyone confirm this theory?

And also, is there anything different about workingwith single stage paint if it is in fact single stage on the black supra?

2. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

The main thing with single-stage paint is that you need to clean your pads out during the detail more often than with clearcoat. From what I can remember, the black and red is in fact single-stage.

Do you have a paint thickness gauge?

3. aznives3

aznives3 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I don't have a ptg on hand just yet, however I am planning to use a flex da with probably megs 80, or megs83 at most if it really is softer.

4. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

I have a customer whose kid use to have a 94 Turbo black in color,:shead: I don't recall that car having SS paint, but it has been at least 10 years since they got rid of it.

I think you will be safe using M80 with a Flex, go for it Dude.

5. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I worked on a black Supra last year. I don't think it was a color only paint style though, I remember it being cleared. However, toyota piant is very soft so it will correct easier, but along with that you REALLY REALLY need to watch out for holograms! Do Not rely on any sort of light or halogen lighting source to tell if there are holograms...check your work in direct sunlight only. This came back to bight me! I finished down with 106 and it didnt quite finesse away all trails from RD3.02...as you probably guessed I had to go back and finesse with 85rd and reapply more Swissvax:(

6. Bob

Bob Birth of a Detailer

I worked on one and I know for sure that it was not single stage. However, I'm pretty sure the one I worked on was a repaint at one time.