1987 Toyota 4RUNNER - A2D

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by ehuth1, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ehuth1

ehuth1 Birth of a Detailer

Well I picked up my new rig to haul my trailer to keep the wear and tear off my Tacoma. I found it on a 4runner forum and drove up to NC to pick it up. First impressions of it basically stuck me as one tough 20 year old mule. This thing is in great shape and the engine just had been freshend up about 10k ago. I got a 2" lift coming and wheels and tires on the way. The body is going to get prepped for paint in about 2 weeks. I'm going back dark grey with the top being re-sprayed black also.

For this write up I choose to use D-151 straight with the cyclo and a orange edge pad. The afters are all after one pass with D-151, ONR wash, and wipe down with Optimums Spray Wax. The tires recieved MEGS Hyper Dressing via optimum spray gun, and the interior was cleaned and dressed with Stoners trim shine and carpets were hot water extracted using MEGS APC and TUFF STUFF cleaners.

THOUGHTS ON D-151 - Awesome AIO for a quick fix, also the working time reminded me of M105 short, very short! Make sure you prime the pad with atleast 4 dots even on my 4" cyclo pad. I enjoyed the smell and after working the product it basically became transparent and wiped off with ease. It rained shortly after and the water beaded nicely either due to the Spray Wax or D-151..... Either way it looked like it had great protection.

BEFORES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTERS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I'm surprised no one has commented yet, but it looks like you already got that thing repainted! WOW!

3. ehuth1

Appreciate that P1et! I was surprised myself. I stripped all the stickers off with the shark steamer, now all I have to do is get the adhevsive off with some 3M adhesive remover... Just haven't made it that far yet.

4. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

man that really looks amazing, what was ur plan when going over those side graphics?

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Looks good, I need to get my self a new beater as well :shead: that looks like a good ride..:shead:

6. ehuth1

Basically I polished the truck before removing the stickers... I wasn't going to tape them off, due to the fact that I knew it was going to be a repaint. The D-151 is some great stuff and being there is no dusting or chalky residue working around the stickers cleaned up very nice!

7. ehuth1

I've been looking for one of these for going on 8 months now! It was hard to find one that wasn't a complete rust bucket... There will always be one thats awesome looking but needs work or is a hunting rust bucket that runs like brand new.. I wanted that perfect one so I had to find a needle in a haystack. I started searching classifieds on 4runner forums.

8. ehuth1

Did I mention 21-23 mpg average with it's 4cyl and it is a 4WD!

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea, I hear you. The rust finally caut up with the Jeep, I kid you not the passanger door I can see through it with all the rust..so it's time to look for another beater...but I'm not sure what to look for. I'd love to get a Toyota truck in the 2000 year or so but so far no luck :shrug: I'll just keep on looking.

But boy did you ever get your self a good vehicle :thumb:

10. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I meant those side strakes on the fenders and doors

11. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

:sheep: :applause2:

That looks AWESOME ehuth1!!! Rust aside, that's one HELL of a restoration/transformation. After seeing what Clarkson did to one of those, I've wanted one ever since.

:worship2:

12. ehuth1

Link to Clarkson's ?? Oh and thanks for the compliment!

13. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Great job! That is an amazing transformation. What, you did not keep those cool seat covers? :giggle:

14. ehuth1

I was waiting on someone to catch that!! I was kinda scared to lift them, thought it might be bad sign. Turned out better than I thought. Thanks for the compliment.

15. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

What did you use on the front bumper?

16. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Hmmm, I don't know if Top Gear has the vid available for viewing over the web. Basically, they beat the living crap out of one - set it on fire, smack it with a wrecking ball, take it for a dip in the ocean, etc. - and it still ends up running. Good episode.

:thumb:

17. jodib425

jodib425 Virgin Detailer

YouTube - Top Gear: Killing a Toyota Part 1

TopGear Rules!

Do a search on youtube for TopGear Toyota, there's about 5 parts to the whole thing... those things are indestructible

It's got pride of place in the TopGear studio, beaten and battered BUT still running!

"They Shot their own sign, what are they going to do to us?" LOL (TopGear roadtrip America)
    Long live "Oliver" (You've got to see the African Challenge for that one)

OH, and if anyone in the States can get hold of this book "The world according to Clarkson... And Another Thing..." ( Published by Penguin in the UK, ISBN: 978-0-141-02860-6 )
    I suggest you get it! great bathroom reading

18. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

sorry for the semi-threadjack ehuth1, but I'm very much looking forward to the new episodes on the BBCA channel next monday, w00t!

:applause2:

19. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Man Eric what an incredible turnaround. You could put it right back up for sale and make a nice profit for yourself! I bet the owner would be sick to see how good it looks now! Not only did you find a needle in a haystack but you also found a diamond in the rough! You should have let me know you were coming to NC.

20. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Wow, LoL, that looks so much better now! It's hard to believe that that's 21 year old paint. Restoring the trim and top definitely helps make the car look brand new. Hell, you could probably turn a profit by putting it back up for sale like JL said. :)