Can you power wash the majority of engines?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by m4gician, Apr 17, 2008.

1. heatgain

heatgain Guest

:agree:
    I use my pressure washer on engines but I keep a safe distance. It uses much less water than a plain hose. I'm not really using any pressure to wash.

2. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

I have a gas pressure washer and if you leave the engine off, with all hoses and tips put together, It lets off the steady stream of a "simulated" pressure wash when you pull the trigger. That's how I've been rinsing off engine bays with out a problem so far. I've probably done between 10-14 engine bays. If anything its kind of like the flat setting on the hose,with like half the jet setting pressure.:thumb:

3. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

A little elbow grease and alot of APC, brushes and rags. steady stream of water.

4. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

Engines haven't ever been a specialty of mine, but I've been experimenting a bit lately...

A good degreaser left to dwell, then hit with a steam cleaner and rinsed with very low pressure water (the PW turned off idea from an above post works very well) seems to be a pretty good method. Very little agitation is required.

The heat from the steam cleaner melts the dirt/grime/grease which is then grabbed by the APC for easy rinsing.

The usual caveats apply for engine cleaning: don't melt stuff with the steam cleaner, don't get water where it shouldn't go, don't hit the belts with APC, etc.

5. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

I do it and have no issues. But be very careful with them.

6. gregk

gregk Virgin Detailer

As some of the others have said, as long as you are cautious with not spraying into spark plug areas and electrical areas, you should not run into issues with a wide spray PW.

The other thing that helps is not letting any water sit on the engine. After I spray an engine, I use a leaf blower to remove any standing water and then dry with a mf cloth. Then dress with your favourite dressing, avoiding belt areas.

I have only run into 1 issue in the 500+ engines I have done. It was a volvo(2004) that has a metal cover over the spark plug area so I sprayed it like normal and used the leaf blower to dry. The car started, but ran rough. I phoned the dealer, and he said that it was a common issue with any water near the spark plug area. The metal cover has a gap around the front and it still lets water in and the water flows right into the spark plug area! I removed the cover and had to use paper towels to remove excess water in the spark plug area. Started it up and it was fine.

7. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

yesterday i did an e46 m3 engine for the first time and just used p21s TAW and the short, soft boars hair brush phil has and regular hose with crappy sprayer(at buddies house) and made it look like new.. it was filthy!!!!! really my first effort on a nasty engine bay(first time cleaned in 45k miles)

i was amazed at how well p21s cleaned everything.. i cover some electrical connections and the alternator. it came out mint!!!

8. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

I always use a PW when I can on engines.

I spray the degreaser on
    let it sit for a few minutes
    turn engine on
    pressure wash engine.
    let engine run for 20 or so minutes

Never any problem.

9. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

I must be lucky but I never have any problems no matter what or how I pressure wash an engine. I do dry the engine...:thumb:

10. B-Power-B

B-Power-B Virgin Detailer

I am new to the forums, so Hello everyone!!

I have been using a PW to clean engines for years. I always stay away from the alternator, plugs and wires. I will continue to do whats worked in the past but after reading this thread, I will defiantly use more care when doing so.