3M UK Pads vs 3M US Pads

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Thrasher, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Thrasher

Thrasher Virgin Detailer

2. jodib425

jodib425 Virgin Detailer

Prime differences are
    (a) 17mm (133mm or 5.25" on detailerguy.com) VS (150mm or 6" polishedbliss.co.uk)
    (b) £7.50 Thats almost $15 for about 1/2 inch WOW hope they sell loads of them!

3. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I have both the UK and the DG pads. They are all the same and perform identically.

4. Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The UK pads are thicker, have a much thicker piece of Velcro on them, and as jodib425 mentioned they are 6" vs 5.25".

The Velcro on the smaller pads almost looks and feels more like felt. With some pressure I did get them to stick to my BP and in use they held on just fine. I really like those little 5.25" pads and at the price (~ $1 each) they were selling them for they are hard to beat.

The 6" pads from the UK are very nice but I haven't used mine yet; I got a 3M 5" BP and some 6" pads in a group buy. Foam wise they feel identical to me so performance should be the same.

I talked to some 3M reps at their booth during the Street Rod Nationals earlier this month and they say they are considering selling the 6" pads(and 5" BP's) in the states, but it isn't something that is going to happen very soon.

5. gio

gio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I used the 3M UK Pads, and they really great. The best pads i ever tried.

6. Nica

Nica Banned

All I use is 3M UK pads, I have used the 3M US version and this is just my opinion but I found that the 3M UK pads last longer then the 3M US pads...but that's just my :2cents:

I also noticed that the 3M UK pads feel much softer compared to the 3M US pads as far as performance, they both get the job done but I personally prefer the feel of the 3M UK pads.

But to be honest it all comes down to personal preference.

7. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

i Love the uk pads.. never tried the US pads but i have seen them and i have to side with Nica. the pads do seem softer and a lil higher quality than the US pads.

8. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

never used the U.S. pads, but have some UK ones. I really like them. I agree about the better feel also.

9. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

i got some us ones on the way....ill give my review on them

10. gio

gio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Right... we'll be waiting your review Scott...

11. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

Bumping and old thread, anything ever come of this?

I wanted to buy some pads from the same "detailerguy" place.

12. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

13. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

I did, but if I'm reading right, he only has a 6" yellow pad and some 3" pads left

14. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

From what people have said, they like the 6" yellow pads better, those are the UK ones. Ive got a yellow UK pad on the way to try out.

15. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Ken (911) ordered some of the UK 3M pads.....still waiting for him to post his review/findings but I am guessing it's been freezing up there in Canada at the moment ;)

16. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

I actually prefer the UK pads. That black 5.25 is the only small version of the 3m and the rest are really big and just dont look or feel as nice. UK 3m all the way.

17. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I ordered 40 pads from Detailguy and I couldn't be happier. Great pad for the money.

18. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Which pads? What color?
    I am really in need for ordering some new pads for my new Makita and 3M BP :D and I want some good flat pads.

19. er1k

er1k Obsessive Detailer

Anybody? I'm hoping to get a good order of pads tonight because I leave tomorrow. Somebody please help me out!

20. racersky

racersky Jedi Nuba

Where do you order your UK pads from?