400hp 92 GTi

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by 911Fanatic, Aug 18, 2008.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

This car belongs to a friend of mine and was booked in for today as it was going to a show tonight and another tomorrow. I didn't get to take alot of pics as the friends shop I was using today was over an hour late opening and the car needed a little more work than anticipated. The car is a 92 16v GTi that has been blessed with a major workover including a Turbonetics Turbo VR6 that is currently making around 400hp. Dynoed 362hp at the wheels. Next week it will receive some more goodies and should be good for 430 - 450hp at the wheels. Thats almost 500bhp. Every part of this car has been done and is awesome to drive. I've personally had it up to 240kph. Silly fast.:applause2:

You all know my regimen by now...
    Engine and jambs cleaned with AG Powermax2. No engine dressing today.
    Washed with PB Superslickn'n Suds.
    Tires,wheels and inner fenders cleaned with AG Custom Wheel Cleaner
    Clayed with Automagic Blue bar
    Polished with SIP on green CCS
    LSP was FMJ
    Tires dressed with Blue Dew tire dressing

Total time - 9.5 hrs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car has spent alot of the last year in the shop and the paint showed it. It was covered with I don't know what. Felt like 80 grit sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

Some of you will remember this truck as I did it a few months ago. It was going to a show on Sunday as well and was to get another coat of wax after the GTi. Started on it at 7pm. Good times!
    [​IMG]

This is the stuff that came off HALF the rear glass. Had to bin the bar after this job.
    [​IMG]

After getting the car washed and inside, this is what I was facing. If this wasn't bad enough...
    [​IMG]

This was one of the AVERAGE readings on the car. FECK ME! Luckily it was a single stage paint so I had a little breathing room. I think. Well, here goes...
    [​IMG]

50/50 shot. At least the blazing hot sun today was good for something!
    [​IMG]

The little blemishes in the paint are actually tiny pits in the paint?
    [​IMG]

Now thats what I'm talking about!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first choice for LSP today was one of my Carnaubas but it was so hot I didn't want him having it look like crap at his show on Sunday so I went with Werkstat Acrylic Jett. It doesn't like heat either. Keeping in mind it was 35 degrees(around 40 on the humidex) and it was 32 in the shop. My hat is off to everyone who details in places like Florida, Phoenix etc. You guys are awesome! :worship2::worship2::worship2:
    [​IMG]

This is where all the magic happens. Above 4000 rpm its like a 89 930 Turbo. It had better be pointed straight or you've burnt the burgers!
    [​IMG]

Just when I thought I was done I was removing the 3m tape from the rear bumper and all the F#$%ing redye job came with it. Luckily my friends shop had some bumper paint so I got to redo that as well.

Thanks for looking.

2. Ivan Rajic

Ivan Rajic Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Awesome job! My favorite VW by far!

3. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Looks great! :applause:

4. FuelTuner

FuelTuner Birth of a Detailer

holy wicked . that is my kind of vee dub.. good job on the black!

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Cool vehicle...but wow talk about a misleading vehicle. I mean just by looking it at it doesn't show much, hate to be a young punk trying to rase that beast :giggle: if anything it would put him in place :wshitle:

Just curious, what kind of tape did you use on the bumper?

Vehicle looks great and the paint gauge readings were shocking but you got to love single stage paint :thumb:

Another job well done, thank you for taking the time to share it with us :peace:

Oh and I know what you mean about heat, this weekend I've been slaving a way at the last vehicle I'll detail on our current home and the temperature in my garage was ridiculous, I sweated buckets this weekend :shakehead: memo to my self, get some fans or if all possible air conditioning in my new garage :graduation: :graduation:

6. 911Fanatic

Same tape I always use, 3M Green. Never had a problem with it. After I talked to the owner, I realised that it had been redyed about 6 or 7 years ago. Just made an interesting day more interesting!

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea, that's what I thought you use the green tape. Reason I ask is becuase I've never had an issue with the green tape. Once the blue tape riped some a small peace of the rubber molding around a window :confused: I have no clue how it did it but it did it..so after that I switched to the green tape and haven't had any issues what's so ever..strange that the green tape did that :shead:

8. virtual

virtual DB Pro Supporter

Car looks beautiful, love the rims!
    Awesome work! :)

9. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

OH MAN OH MAN look at that Mk2, sheer JIZZINESS!!!

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Nice job on the GTI, but where is the write up of the 69 Camero you did, also are you going to do the truck in the above pics.

11. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

What a turn around

12. Wendell inc.

Wendell inc. Birth of a Detailer

AWESOME! THATS SOOOOO COOOOOL!!!!

I am a HUGE vw nut! This is GREAT! I have a '91 mk2 GTI for sale right now.

13. 911Fanatic

The owner is contemplating putting this up for sale. Interested?

14. 911Fanatic

Good god man are you impatient!! LOL The Camaro is an inside job so I'm waiting for a few rainy days to go finish it. Finally got the hazing issue sorted. I am posting the truck pics shortly.

15. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

How much is he selling it for? For some reason, all Mk1s and Mk2s are so hard to find in the US. Why is that?

16. 911Fanatic

I believe he would let it go in the mid 20s. I can't say how much he's into it for. Lets just say its substantial.

17. KC4725

KC4725 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

3m green FTW,
    the car was probably just too old, never had problems with 3m tape even on my 89 Corolla