review: LANGKA chip repair

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by haper, Apr 22, 2008.

1. haper

haper Birth of a Detailer

Just finished the LANGKA process, here's what I did:

- washed car
    - applied LANGKA pre-paint to each chip, let dry
    - applied touch up paint (purchased separately) to each chip, let dry
    - applied second coat of touch up paint to each chip, let dry
    - used the blob eliminator liquid, cloth and card to rub off excess touch up paint from each chip
    - rewashed car
    - complete detail (not required as part of LANGKA process)​

Conclusion:
    the LANGKA procedure does work. it successfully removed excess touch up paint, whether it was a blob in the chip or extra touch up paint you might have gotten on good paint surrounding the chip.

it is worth the $40 as it does provide some improvement, but it isn't a perfect solution​

Observations:

- the 'blob eliminator' breaks down the touch up paint so you can wipe it away. this theory works but it is a fine art to take enough away to remove the 'blob', but also leave enough behind so the touch up paint is level w/ the good paint. i'm sure with enough practice folks can get pretty good at it, but i'm not sure how long that might take.

- the 'blob eliminator' step is a corrective step, as always the least amount of correction you need to do the better. only get paint into the chip and not on the surrounding good paint. fill the chip completely but minimize the size of your blob, use multiple layers.

- for applying the touch-up paint, their 'nano-brush thingie' left too much paint on the surrounding good paint. the brush that came w/ the touch-up paint was useless and a toothpick wasn't much better. next time i'm going to try a very very fine paint brush from a hobby store. EDIT: i went and got a very fine paint brush from the local stationary store, it worked very well - by regulating how much paint i put on the brush i could apply just the right amount to the chip.

- even if you were to master the technique not all chips will come out perfect. all chips result in some amount of paint being removed, but some also result in damage to the surrounding edge of the chip, often a section of the surrounding edge might be slightly raised b/c of impact of the material causing the chip. the LANGKA process does not address these situations.

- i've never wet sanded, but for larger chips i would imagine the result would be much better, especially if there is damage to the surrounding edge of the chip.

2. JohnyB

JohnyB Birth of a Detailer

Tnx for shareing bud i was just asking for a review in a post yesterday sounds like i will have to give it a go..

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Nice review haper, sounds very good...but just a question...you wouldn't happen to have any pictures now would you? Just wondering that's all.

Thank you for the feed back on this product as I've been very curious about it :peace:

4. haper

the wife doesn't remember where she left the camera . . . argh.

5. Nica

Nica Banned

No worries, but thank you for taking the time to share with us :peace:

6. haper

if you or nica want to give it a try i have plenty of product left, i'd be willing to send you enough to do a few chips in exchange for some 'higher end' wax - enough to do a bmw 3-series once.

7. richy

richy Guest

I've used it a few times and am by no means an expert with it. Where I find its advantage is..when you have a chip near an edge and wet sanding would not be an appropriate option. This happens a lot on the leading edge of the hood.

8. RussECU

RussECU DB Forum Supporter

Touchup 123 is also a good product. I have used it once and am about to use it again for a scratch that I have. I will try to get some pics. One thing they do state is that it is not a fix all but will make the chips and scratched less noticable.

9. haper

found the camera, here's a shot of two chips. notice i don't have enough paint in the chip, but i kinda knew this and did the LANGKA process anyhow since i didn't have time to do yet a thiird and probably fourth coat that was really needed.

before i started there was a good amount of excess touch-up paint on the surrounding good paint, the LANKGA process took that away pretty good.

NOTE: this picture was taken after I did the LANGKA process and detailed the car. the LANGKA process did produce some minor scratches that were corrected w/polish. so be prepared to do some paint correction if you are doing the LANGKA process.

[​IMG]
    By haper, shot with Canon PowerShot SD850 IS at 2008-04-25

10. Nica

Nica Banned

That looks good haper and that's a large paint chip..thank you for sharing wiht us looks good :thumb:

11. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Thanks for the information!!! Nice review and work!!

12. V.I.P.E.R

V.I.P.E.R Guest

i too used this it works' great i found that if you do it 2-3 times' for bigger chips' it works' out alot better in the long run as i hate those damn chips'

13. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Virgin Detailer

I used the Mothers Langka set a long time ago and it worked great for me. I usually hear a lot of bad about it but I like the stuff...

14. jodib425

jodib425 Virgin Detailer