1. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

im currently using a cobra MF wash mitt... i have had it for only like 3 months and it's already falling apart... plus it has marred my paint. i used to use the VROOM MF mitts, and they never marred. so iv'e been reading up on these grout sponges and what not. but no one has really said if they mar the surface at all :shakehead: i used to use a sponge when i first got my car (before i got into detailing) and i remember it marred the crap out of my paint. also i was thinking sheepskin. where can i get a quality sheepskin mitt?

so which is the better choice... grout sponge or sheepskin mitt?

2. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I'm personally debating this...

Megs Gold Class Sheep Skin vs ShmiTT.

I'm leaning towards the sponge at the moment, but my situation is somewhat unique.

I have 2 large trees that are constantly dropping stuff on my cars. With the sheepskin, these little fall out needles and balls of stuff are IMPOSSIBLE to get out. With a sponge, I can easily clean after every pass. I haven't noticed any marring yet.

I do intend to try Phils 'uber' sponge soon.

I'm still experimenting so I'll keep updating.

3. raddogz

raddogz Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have used all four type of products - sheepskin mitt, mf mitt, sea sponge, and grout sponge.

The sheepskin mitt seemed to glide the easiest compared to all four across the vehicle's surface.

I have just started using the grout sponge (once) so I can't really offer any advice other than I really liked it.

The sea sponge was/is a little too big so I may have to actually trim it down to a more manageable size.

The mf mitt works well but seems to snag on the emblems it was a freebie mf mitt so it may not even compare to better quality ones.

4. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

I prefer sheepskin for traditional wash. The Griots sheepskin mit I bought a few years ago is holding up well. I just make sure to clean, rinse and dry it after every use.

I bought a few grout sponges but I just couldn't get used to them, not for me I guess.

5. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Target micro chenille wash mitts are my favorite! Not sure about their durability but i've got about 10 of them hehehe

6. yoyomoefoe

yoyomoefoe Any Rag Vehicle Washer

AUTOSPA microfiber wash sponge. been using it for about 3 months now and absolutly love it. fond it at pepboys. about $9 USD. holds suds well. washes off in clean bucket with ease.

7. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

been using sheepskin washmitts and no probs

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Agreed, no problems here either

9. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Try Phils Sheepskin ones, there is none that can compare....

10. Denzil

Denzil Guest

To be quite honest, both! I have and use both the grout sponge and sheepskin mitt. There's certain places that the grout sponge can't get to that the sheepskin mitt can.

Ideally, IMO, the grout sponge can be used for the majority of the car while the sheepskin can be used for the nooks and crannies that the GS can't get to.

It really is hard to beat the price of the grout sponge from Lowe's for less than $2.