mitsubishi evolution clear coat?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by g35videos, May 30, 2008.

1. g35videos

g35videos Two Bucket System Washer

I have a question what kind of clear coat is on the mitsubishi evolution?

i have 5 of them comming in next week.

Thank you.

2. Truls

Truls Two Bucket System Washer

The solid colour are singlestage AND thin, the red i got def got thin SS crap paint Q, so beware with the wool and rotary on those, but anyway they are kinda ok to detail. white SS is harder to detail, black is soft.

the metalic most comonly got clear coat on them..

3. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

LanEVO's have terrible paint on them.

the CC is very thin and on certain colors, they are very soft. especially the blue and red colors. the black color seem to hold up the best, cc is a bit on the hard side

i've detailed several EVO's in my community.

4. g35videos

what pads would you consider using on evos ? is Menzerna Intensive Polish ok for evos or should i use something lighter like final polish ?

5. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

use something soft first. i cant recommend any specific products as i have been just "getting by" using a microfiber cloth, and mothers liquid wax on 3 EVOs i occasionally detail.

the new EVO X's and most of the 2007-2008 Mitsu's have seem to have a harder CC then previous years

6. g35videos

here is the scratches i have to work with you think wetsanding is needed ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

wet-sanding should only be one of those "last resort" methods.

the first pic shouldn't be too hard with the right pads and compound.

the last one looks deep from the angle. hard to tell

8. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: I would have to agree with Grey Ghost, wet sanding should be the last resort, for the most part a good compound should take care of majority of the scratches but for the deeper ones you're probably better off wet sanding but assuming you have plenty of clear coat :shrug:

9. g35videos

thx guys, nica what compound would you recomend?

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Well you always want to start light but SIP should do great with a polishing pad :thumb:

If SIP and a polishing pad doesn't cut it then perhaps step up the pad to a cutting pad but you'll probably have to follow it up with say Menzerna 85RD with a finishing pad.

Now if you do have to compound I would go with Menzerna Power Gloss with a wool pad followed up with SIP with a polishing pad and finished off with 85RD or 106FF with a finishing pad.

Well that's what I would do oh and I'm assuming your using a rotary.

Hope this helps :peace:

11. g35videos

im using porter cable and is 106FF good enough for the evo or you think SIP is better?

12. Bimma

Bimma Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You will want to start off with the SIP and then goto the 106FF. Like Nica said start off with the polishing pad, if it doesnt work then use a cutting pad.

I dont think 106FF alone will be good enough.

- Sunny