When meg105 is not enough cut

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Johny ligon, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Johny ligon

Johny ligon New Member

So I've been using meg105/205 and then I have a plethora finish waxes, glans, collinite, auto finess..
    A few of family has asked me to detail their cars, after seeing my success ,anyway some are stained etched ect, do you guys have a recommendation for heavily oxidized,etched stained paint....
    Thanks
    Johny

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Do you have any pics of the paint?

3. dawendy01

dawendy01 Virgin Detailer

The next step after 105 for me is wetsanding. Depending on what is needed I will go with 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000. Then hitting with 105 then refining the finish after that.

4. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

What cars? I know some german cars have some very hard paint compared to say, Honda. Working on my VW last year was pretty tough going with 105 and an orange pad. What was recommended to me was trying microfibre pads

Johny ligon likes this.
  5. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Just get some 101 - that should cut it.

Paul S likes this.
  6. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Also what machine and pad are you using? Are you using a 6.5 pad with a PC or Flex or Rupes with 5.5 wool, foam or mf pads? 105 is as agressive as it gets and should get the job done with the right pad and machine, but you have to do a test spot on each car to find out what the paint wants. It may a take a fe tries to find the right pad and speed combo for each vehicle.

7. Johny ligon

Johny ligon New Member

I have a griots 6.5 and orange pad, it actually was on a Chevy Monte Carlo SS...I'm not doing this as a profession and wouldn't be comfortatable wet sanding....I have a bmw m3 and 2 mazda rx7 's .... Mine looks great as well as the wife's honda crv.... Thanks for the quick relplies and willingness to help...
    Johny

8. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

Give MF pads a try for more cut than an orange pad, D300, m105, and m101 all work great with MF pads also.

9. wheelzntoys01

wheelzntoys01 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Try the thin purple foamed wool for DA, I also like FG400.

10. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

I would say menzerna fg400 with a microfiber cutting pad would give you a lot more cut than what you have been using

11. irsankao

irsankao Virgin Detailer

Try a rotary and 4 ply 100% wool pad and paint shop compound is incredibly aggressive or switch with #105 first.
    Since your machine is a DA, the most aggressive can be MF extra cutting pad or thin wool pad about 5" size and longer play time compound such as FG 400 as suggested previously.

12. allenk4

allenk4 New Member

Wet sanding is definitely NOT the "next step". You want to use the least aggressive method possible.

Before you start changing all of the variables....you can get more cut with what you have by altering your technique:

- Slowing down your arm movement

- Increasing downward pressure

- Increase the number of section passes

Sticking with the tool and compound you have, there are several options that provide more cut with M105 than the Orange Pad, you are currently using.

- Lake Country CCS Yellow Foam Pad

- Lake Country Purple Foamed Wood, try the thin one

- CarPro Flash Pads are getting excellent reviews

- Meguiar's Dual-Action Microfiber pads (DAMF). They even come in Xtra Cut
    The 3" ones cut really well, even on my old PC

- Tuff Buff Black Wool. have not tried them, but they get very good reviews

Good Luck and Have Fun