2007 Dodge Magnum

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by gothamite302, Nov 6, 2013.

1. gothamite302

gothamite302 Virgin Detailer

I recently was asked if I could take care of a "cloudy" residue on a hood of a Dodge Magnum and as a member of a local car club, he was embarrassed to even take his car to shows in the condition it was in. This customer was a referral to me from a great customer, so I let him know that I would do what I can and that I would need to see the car in person before I gave him a definitive response and price. He brought me the car a few days later and I was able really assess the situation. The hood had severe oxidation and was in need for some heavy compounding and polish work. I carried out my test spot for the hood, made some great progress, and we settled on a day to get his car back. The hood would receive the most attention and the rest of the car would get a single stage to help the paint look much clearer.

Products Used:

Body Wash and Decon
    Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
    Microfiber wash mitt
    2 Bucket method
    AutoGeek Foam Gun
    CarPro IronX
    Speedy Prep Fine prep pad
    Optimum No Rinse (mixed to lube ratio)
    Wheels:
    Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
    Megs APC+ 4:1
    Megs Super Degreaser 4:1
    Chemical Guy BareBones
    Daytona Speed Master brush
    Soft Wheel Brush
    Megs Metal Polish
    Megs Polishing Cone
    Mothers Curved Tire brush
    Megs Tire Gel
    Interior:
    1Z Premium Cockpit
    Megs Glass Cleaner 10:1
    Megs APC+ 10:1
    Leatherique Pristine Clean
    Correction and LSP:
    Flex 3401
    LC Cyan pads
    B&S Microfiber Cutting Pads
    LC Tang pads
    LC CCS Black pads
    Menzerna FG400
    Megs M105
    HD Polish
    BlackFire Gloss Enhancing Polish
    BlackFire Wet Diamond

As delivered
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can really see the oxidation on this one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting all washed up

[​IMG]

Oxidation up close
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got my system going on the oxidation and went at getting the hood completed since I knew it would be the biggest time consumer. I started with several passes of M105 on a cyan pad to get the surface level and smooth again. I followed that up with FG400 on a B&S pad to clear up hazing and a get the last bit of real cut to get the surface looking great. I finished it off with HD Polish and a LC black pad to really get the maximum gloss. I did completed the entire hood before moving on to the rest of the vehicle and this is how it went:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hood completed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now moving on to the rest of the vehicle
    I got a sample bottle of HD Polish and had been tinkering on my own vehicle to see how it worked and i had liked the results so I chose it for this single stage. I used the LC Tangerine Pads and got outstanding result with very few passes and very little dusting.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

50/50
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I went over the whole vehicle i followed up with BF GEP and BFWD. I let that cure for an hour while I did the interior which was in good shape so it went smoothly. now without further ado, the final shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't have direct sunlight out for direct pictures but it was a major improvement on the entire vehicle. BlackFire never leaves me anything less than astonished in how good it looks every time. Everything else went very smoothly thanks mainly to the help of HD Polish.

Jonathan Arrecis
    Premier Detailing

Cobra likes this.
  2. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Nice job! I recently did a black 09 Charger RT, just for a detail not paint correction, and used HD polish and a white polishing pad with GG DA and found the paint to be hard, did you find the same? Dodge seems to be medium hard to hard, IMO. Great job!

3. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Great turnaround!!

4. gothamite302

gothamite302 Virgin Detailer

No, the paint corrected very well with the combo I used on the body. I wasn't going after deeper imperfections so I didn't compound anything other than the hood.

5. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

That car was hammered you did a great job on bring it back to life. How many hours did it take you to get it done.