Business Plan/Demographics

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by vtec92civic, Jul 30, 2012.

1. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

So i know that this seems a bit random to post on here but i feel as if it's a pretty important question to ask all my fellow forum members/friends here. As some of you may know i currently reside out in Hawaii on the island of Maui to be exact. As Maui will always be home i was partially raised in California (Middle School & High School) and have really been considering making the move back.

When planning a business it is important to have a business plan. One of the main things in the plan is demographics and knowing your targeted clientele. Now, how do you go about figuring this type of stuff? For a detail business you would want to have a shop or service areas in which were heavily populated to some extent, is a metropolitin area or close to one, has nice vehicles as well as some wealthy people who would be more then willing to pay for such a service.

I'm currently doing some research as i'm strongly looking to make the move back to the mainland as i really want to continue my passion for detailing and take things to the next level. I feel that Maui is holding me back and doesn't quite have the type of clientele that i'm looking for. Any help, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hope Dave aka DSMS chimes in on this one as well . . . .

Thanks in advance.

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i'm surprised nobody chimed in on here . . . .

3. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I live in a high upper scale area and most of clients want the best and are willing to pay for it. I did a lot of research before I started my bussines. The other two shops by me are high volume and my clients want quality.

4. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

My thing is how do you go about researching something like that. I'm really trying to make a plan for the move be it to California or not. My main thing is just moving to the proper area that will have half way decent clients. I don't expect Ferrari's and Lambo's and that's it but there has got to be a way to figure out what area has a certain type of people who are looking for quality vs the $5 tunnel wash services.

5. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

It would be tough in Maui due to the on and off rain (I was there in the first week of Nov for honeymoon). Not only that the population is pretty sparse, and of those people a huge portion are not locals. I also don't see it as a particularly affluent place; which is an issue when selling a luxury service/product.

However, say you move to California, you will have a lot larger population sample, but you will also have a ton more competition from other detailers. If you don't want to move far, I feel you would have better luck on Oahu. But then again, I've never been there.

6. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Totally agree man. Yeah maui is a no go. Oahu is like a floating LA. My buddy owns a shop on Oahu and does very very well. So it's either Oahu or Cali. One of the 2. Cali is cheap as far as warehouse space goes and ordering supplies.

7. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Why not see if you buddy had over 70% maeket share? If not maybe you can explore a deal that if you can grow the business you can for a partnership? This is assuming you both get along and have similar ideals.

8. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

This link might give you some location ideas http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/20111206/america-s-richest-zip-codes-2011 and you can mine more information from the IRS and census data. High income alone, however, is only a small part of the story, you also need to look at the climate, your cost-of-living, the amount and quality of competition, commercial space lease rates, state and local fees, taxes and regulations, etc..

9. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I was lucky that I know a lot of people in my neighborhood so I started doing their cars first. It grew from there in 6 months I was booked every
    weekend since. Word of mouth was a huge help to me. If you can show people your work that's a huge help to. The two shops by me only show after shots.

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

11. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Come to St. Louis!

It isn't saturated with detailers around here :)

12. QUENGA

QUENGA Any Rag Vehicle Washer

First time I've ever seen anyone say "cheap rent" for California. Good luck with that, lol!

I have too much illegal competition. There are guys offering the same stuff for 1/2 the price and people fall for it all the time. Then, they think I'm ripping them off for charging normal pricing. The guys who make money have been out here for YEARS or they are big/volume based shops.

It can be done, but it's going to take a lot of time and $$ to break into Cali.

13. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

As a highline detailer your customers shouldn't be the general public. You need to find a niche and get cracking. Get involved in the right forums, car shows, meets, nightly events, etc. Common techniques (Groupon, Craigslist, penny shopper ads, etc)that the high-vol detailers use won't target your niche.

14. QUENGA

Very true. This is what I meant by time and money. ADD kicked in and I made a sandwich instead of finishing my thoughts...as usual.

15. Lucci Elite Detail

Lucci Elite Detail DB Forum Supporter

There is plenty of business to go around in California I've only been out in Cali for a year and a half and haven't had a problem commanding my rate or getting business... There is tons of high end work out here.

16. QUENGA

Yeah, you're right, let me retract that statement. Not really what I meant to say. :shead: I guess I needed that sandwich more than I thought.

17. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Great info guys. Thanks Jimmy for the inspiration.

I say cheap rent because of what im use to seeing. Out here its at least $1.50-$2.00 per sq.ft.

I seen some places in areas of California that like $800 for a 1400+ sq.ft place. Here in hawaii that would easily run you over $2,000, so now you can see why i say cheap or inexpensive as its a lot more affordable up there.

Jimmy PM me buddy.

18. Algernon

Algernon Virgin Detailer