Cleaning the Tires

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dMak4, Oct 8, 2012.

1. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I use autoglym cwc 1:1 and a tuf shine tire brush to clean tires

2. dblackn

dblackn Two Bucket System Washer

+1 for Tarminator on a terry towel, worked on a MKZ I detailed. It was the only thing that removed a few brown stains Zep citrus could not remove. I saw Phil do it once on a write up, try it you'll like it.

3. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I prefer Optimum over Meg's on tire brown but Mothers very well too but definitely not as economical in the 24 oz bottles. I also find a mf scrubbing pad to really clean better than just a tire brush (more surface area actually scrubbing),

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

not a fan of tire brushes either............

5. c0r3y.af

c0r3y.af Virgin Detailer

I also use either Zep Purple or some other "Purple" degreasers out there. Liberally mist it on, let it break down all of the brown gunk, then scrub with a brush and rinse off. Seems to work very well and I have had fantastic results.

6. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I use P21S Total Auto Wash.

7. Rocket01

Rocket01 Birth of a Detailer

I use APC+. I'll have to check the dilution I use but on my personal cars it's not very strong to get the job done.

I have a couple of old bottles of BF tire and wheel cleaner and it works great. I think it's a great cleaner. I haven't tried the newer version but I bet it's just as good if not better

8. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Can't go wrong with Zep Purple. If anything remains Tarminator does the job.

9. dMak4

dMak4 Virgin Detailer

wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. Home depot says its $11 for a gallon of Zep 1gal. Purple Degreaser hopefully it wont be much of a difference in Canada. I'll be sure to pick up some Zep Purple Degreaser at home depot and Optimum Power Clean even though its a bit expensive $42/gal, compared to Zep haha.

10. dMak4

dMak4 Virgin Detailer

Also, just wondering with stock aluminum wheels on a car such as a Lexus is250 would there be any problems when using Zep's Degreaser to clean the tires?

11. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner, Optimum 3:1 or Straight Up, HiTemp Tire Cleaner 1:1, and soon to try 1z Blitz. Clean tires give the best look!

12. rjd598

rjd598 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What's the difference between purple and citrus?

13. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Obviously Citrus is citrus based, a little safer...Purple is not citrus based, it is more harsh chemicals. It is a much stronger chemical, but more harsh as well.

PS, to everyone out there...Zep Purple, as well as most other industrial degreasers out there...make SURE you don't sit and breathe this crap in!! It is highly toxic and really harsh on your lungs! I don't feel there is quite a need for a respirator as long as you are careful to keep your face away...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/9b/9b25529f-f72b-49e3-9bd9-9661c504911b.pdf

14. Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Amazing Roll Off! If Phil doesn't carry it then you can usually get it at a rv center or boating sales/supply store. No issues with factory rims.
    APC+ doesn't come close. Spray on after wetting the tire and a light brushing is all I've ever needed to do on any tire.