Who's become a genie at keeping microfibers soft as new?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by ampbmw, Aug 2, 2012.

1. upsidedown

upsidedown Virgin Detailer

good info, was thinking of buying a microfiber detergent soon, but I guess ill be going to walmart for Tide instead.

2. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

I've been experimenting and here's what I've found currently works best for me. Remember, the water chemistry where you live can make a difference too.

OxiClean pre-soak or added to wash as a booster makes my MF towels rough.

What has been working best for me is a pre-soak in a bucket with Biz followed by a wash using Ecover Delicate Wash with an extended wash cycle to remove all the Biz and Ecover. Result: soft, all stains removed MF towels. The longer you let you MF towels soak in the Biz the better difficult stains will be removed; overnight works best. Biz makes a powder and a liquid. I would have purchased the liquid over the powder, but I was only able to find the powder.

3. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I really don't have a problem with stains, I'm usually caring for towels that are just used to QD, remove wax etc...

Also, in Greenville SC we actually have some of the country's softest water. My CR spotless resins last so long because of this too. The culprit was actually the micro restore, I've done a few cycles with gain without fabric softeners nd it actually resoftened some of my towels, so I think MR is actually leaving a residue making the towels grabby/ sticky

4. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

Good info here! I'm running out of microrestore. I was planning on picking up woolite again. I'm thinking about picking up some Oxi clean as well per recommendations here.

5. armenakadino

armenakadino Birth of a Detailer

im surprised no one has said anything about charlies soap it works great for me. I do also go ahead and throw in a few ounces in the vinegar in the rince cycle when I feel the towels are a little less softer.

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I have luckily been immune to hard crusty aged MF's for several years now. Before that I did experience problems

My current approach:

Costco Hypoallergenic Detergent
    HOT wash with double rinse in hot
    Secondary hot wash with rinse in cold (add vinegar to rinse)
    Lightly dry in dryer

Where I am very meticulous is being disciplined on only using certain towels for certain functions and also not washing towels with different purposes in the same wash

7. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I use Microrestore and I consider them reasonably soft but I do plan to try something different just to see if there is any difference. I also plan to soak in some very hot water (then with some APC) to double check my wash process to see if I am not getting them clean. I will probably try Blackfire since those who have used it seemed to be happier with it.

8. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

Amazed at how soft my towels are turning out with just gain!

9. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I presoak very dirty towels in APC and Hot Water from the tap. I wash with Micro Fiber wash and so far they all seem to be equally as good. Have tried 2 Micro restore and CG Microfiber Cleaner. Currently using micro restore as I buy most stuff at Detailers Domain. I do a double rinse and dry them on Medium heat. I have pre sprayed the spots with APC on the ocassion I dont pre soak and i get fairly good results.

If I dont dry them, they are less soft. Wish there was a better spot remover for MF towels that did not kill them. Seems they are clean and soft but not spot free.

10. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I started using Free and Clear after we talked about it and no issues. But I do wash in Hot Water as Microfibers withstand the heat, no Fabric Softener and never dry them in the dryer as they always catch lint.

11. goGTIgo

goGTIgo Virgin Detailer

I bought some Pakshak towels almost 10 years ago, and they still holding up well; kitchen usage these days but same laundering process...

Hot/sanitary wash for max time with 1/2 cup of oxiclean or borax (hypoallergenic Costco brand or other "free" type)

3x cold rinse

Sometimes 1 cup distilled white vinegar (bought in bulk @ Costco)

Low heat, then air fluff to finish them.

Sent from my iPad3 via Tapatalk

12. jsraaf

jsraaf Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've been washing mine in cold but the consensus seems to be a hot wash instead?

13. renniks1

renniks1 Virgin Detailer

I thought MF towels didn't like hot water.

14. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

No, hot water is EXTREMELY important. You can revive MF by boiling them for a small period of time. Hot DRYING heat is horrible for the microfiber, it creates a static effect and deteriorates the towel.

15. renniks1

renniks1 Virgin Detailer

Thanks for clearing that up.