Garage Keepers Insurance?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by 1f1fan, Feb 21, 2008.

1. 1f1fan

1f1fan Birth of a Detailer

I'm going to start detailing part time. I have my business setup with the Commonwealth of VA as an LLC and taking the paperwork by the county office today. It will mostly be part-time, weekend work, out of my personal vehicle at their residence or mine.

I'm looking for information regarding insurance from anyone doing something similar to what I am planning. Any info on coverage and rates would be greatly appreciated.

-Paul

2. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

If you are more mobile then fixed, its not really a Garage Keepers policy. At least thats what the agent said that I went with. Also it was more money. Let me see if I can dig up the policy later this evening.

3. 1f1fan

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I have been looking into the wrong type of insurance. The agent I usually work with didn't know much about it and the person he said would be contacting me never did.

4. Blackwater

Blackwater Virgin Detailer

You probably need a Commercial General Liabilty policy if you are a mobile detailer.
    Garage keepers is intended for someone who has a shop and has customers car in thier
    care, custody and control. A CGL could be $500-$1000 a year.

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Essentials for Starting a New Business

'Plan for the future, because that is where you are going to spend the rest of your life' Mark Twain

There is a so much to learn about setting up and running a business as well as having the knowledge of your profession. Do adequate research on owning and operating your own business first

Adequate insurance, stable finances, available credit, a good working relationship with your banker or business backer, accounting, tax law, properly setting up your business (sole proprietorship, Limited Company etc.) as well as having the necessary discipline and organizational ability to pay bills on time, are just some of the things required and to start maintain business momentum. This is all in addition to sales, marketing, customer relationships, vendor relationships, and actually doing the work.

Obtain business liability coverage; specifically Garage Keeper's Insurance (fixed location) or a Commercial General Liability policy (Mobile detailer’s).

Starting a new business demands much more than a good idea, a new business needs seed capital, which means that you must also convince a wide range of people that your idea is a good one and that you can successfully generate profits in the future.

PS- If there is sufficient interest in a 'Setting-up a Business' thread let me know, I'd be happy to start a thread (Mods perhaps a 'Business Section
    ' ??????)

6. 1f1fan

From speaking with an agent and a friend who is an underwriter at an insurance company I have been told Garage Keepers is needed for not only fixed detailers, but for mobile detailers also. Garage keepers will cover any damage to the vehicle while it is in the care, custody and control of the detailer - it doesn't matter if the detailer has their own shop or operating at the clients house.

I was told General Liability Insurance will not cover any damage to the vehicle in the event of an accident while performing my service (burn through the paint, buffer malfunction that leads to damage, etc.) and Garage keepers was necessary.

Maybe I need more clarification? This seems to be different than the advice given here.

7. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Togwt I am not sure how many members cough the offer in this thread. But I am interested! Your post are always packed with great information! Thanks for the offer!

8. Blackwater

Blackwater Virgin Detailer

1f1fan the liability policy is what would pay if you damage someones property or cause injury to someone. I don't see your risk as any different than a mobile pressure wash
    service or carpet cleaner. You go to them clean and leave. Just because you clean a car
    instead of washing thier sidewalk doesn't make it a garage keepers. If you have the car in your shop for 3 days repairing the transmission, thats different.

9. Nica

Nica Banned

There is a section to discuss the business aspect of Detailing but that is only available to the Pro Detailers. The reason behind it is that most weekend individuals that detail on the side either do it for extra cash and are not interested on making a living out of it or simply detail just for the passion. Those that have stepped up to detail full time and have changed careers to become Detailers will benefit from it as there is quite a bit of information within this section.

So to conclude, the Business section is set up but not accessible to the public.

10. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I got the exact opposite info than you from an accountant and my insurance agent. I was told I needed the General Liability Policy and that's what I got.

11. 1f1fan

And the plot thickens!

Thanks for the responses on this guys.....looks like I have some more places to call.

12. Ardrick

Ardrick Virgin Detailer

Hi Paul

I own a business in Austin tx called Austin Detailing. I came across a wonderful insurance policy built for the home based business. i pay $300 a year for a 1,000,000 policy with a 250 deductible. check out this website

RLI Home Business Insurance