Faded my black plastic trim

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by JohnnyT, Feb 4, 2012.

1. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Virgin Detailer

I was removing double sided tape adhesive that was on my black door trim (because the prior owner put one of those plastic wind blockers around the window) and, like an idiot, I put the adhesive remover directly on the trim and it bleached/faded it within seconds.

I wanted to scream. It's a 2" x 3" white spot right on my black door trim on the drivers door that will remind me of my stupidity EVERY time I get in the car.

How can I restore the black here without replacing the entire piece itself. It's hard plastic, not rubber.

Does Black Wow work?

Many, many thanks for any suggestions.

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Sounds like you would need to have a permanent die product to bring back the color.

Others will chime in with recommendations.

In the meantime please post some pics for some more accurate evaluations.

3. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

4. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Virgin Detailer

5. irontree

irontree Two Bucket System Washer

C4 is the best trim restorer out there.
    kinda pricey though.

6. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Yes I do, I used it on my ford black plastic that had been out in the sun for 3 years and never treated by the previous owner and had turned grey, I tried several products that would not last and some that would protect but not darken the plastic. I was looking around and found this, ADS is a great company to work with, they have taken things back I didn't like and even reimbursed the return shipping. I goes on thick but you should try to spread it as much as possible, 60-80 degrees is ideal, out of the sun and you may need to apply it twice, allow it 24 hours then look for light spots if any and reapply. It is terrific ford hard plastic, not so much on rubber.