Need a good leather cleaner?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Andrew C., Mar 2, 2011.

1. Andrew C.

Andrew C. Virgin Detailer

What do you guys use to clean really dirty leather? I've tried using APC with a terry cloth and it takes some elbow grease to get them clean, but I'm always hesitant using APC on leather.

Do you guys have any good, safe, dedicated leather cleaners that you can suggest?

2. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

1z leather cleaner + conditioner?
    but APC diluted correctly should be fine really...

3. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I use Raceglaze Leather Cleaner works great.

4. Andrew C.

How do you guys apply these products during the cleaning stages?

Have you guys used APC and gotten good results? I always feel like I have to work it so much to get the leather clean.

5. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Optimum Power Clean diluted 5:1.

It is safe for leather (even straight) and works well.

6. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

+1 Or stronger if needed.

7. Andrew C.

I'm not familiar with Optimum Power Clean, but I have heard of it.

I think I heard of it for taking heavy brake dust off of wheels. So it is very strong, but still safe for leather?

8. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Leather Masters strong cleaner if you want something designed for leather.

9. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

There was a discussion not too long ago about this on another forum, and Chris (from Optimum) added that Optimum Powerclean is AOK for leather. He also noted that some of the other APC's may contain ingredients not as safe as powerclean. I can say from experience that Meguiars APC is way too strong even in its mildest recommended dilution, and dried both my hands and leather out in a hot minute.

10. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

It is worth the extra money to buy a gallon of OPT PC, its so versitile and Im comfortable knowing Im not going to damage anything. Megs APC is cheap and good for motors, undercarriage etc, as is ZEPs. But interior and paint OPT PC is the way to go.

OPTPC is not really that expensive, $10.00 on average more then Megs APC.
    http://www.odonnellsautoparts.com/servlet/the-88450/Optimum-Power-Clean-All/Detail

11. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I agree, it is such a versatile product and probably wont ever need to be used straight. A gallon will last you a while since its extremely powerful even at 3:1.

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I would add that it depends what you are working on. Would I take any APC to the leather in a high end automobile? Never. The leather in most daily drivers will stand up to a PROPER dilution of APC without issue.

13. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

This is just me assuming here, so I could be wrong. But if a vehicle has treated leather, wouldn't it be safe to use an APC on it, as you are not actually cleaning the leather itself, but rather the protective treatment that is on the leather?

14. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

i can also say that apc dilluted right is ok on leather. but make sure you do a test spot to make sure its not gonna harm the leather. rember all leater is differnt just cause the leater in the audi u cleaned monday came out great using apc, dont mean the lexus your cleaning tuesday wont be dammaged by the same product. so alwasys do a small test spot. i now pretty much dont use apc to clean leather any more. i use a steamer for all leather now and it does a much better job. it the leater is real dirty i will spray zaino or duragloss leather cleaner on the leater than work that in with the steamer. does a wonderfull job and leaves the leather much softer and nicer to touch. also woolight works great for leather. i have noticed now though that the newer gm vehicles like dennails and escalades the leather is very easiley marked up and can be harmed and stained from differnt products.

15. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

Just be careful which APC you choose. Many contain caustics and sodas which will damage leather. Power clean is leather and paint safe and does NOT contain these.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

16. roger koh

roger koh Virgin Detailer

It’s a good point to do a test on the leather; as each may response differently depending on its threshold of pH intolerance.

That’s when the ready-to-use product pH value is unknown.

When a leather-safe pH range of 3-5 product is used; there is no such fear.

The side-effect that may revealed immediately is what the spot test is all about – the leather-finish or coating may brightens, may streaks, may becomes tacky – these are side-effect that will deteriorate the leather-finish or coating.

When these unsafe products reach the leather-structure our eyes can’t see; especially through the perforated panels and the weak construction lines and seams – most likely it will stiffen up when dry, and when flexed will leads to premature crack first to the leather-finish or coating and eventually leads to cracking to the leather structure.

And this cracking usually starts at the driver seat between the rows of stitching holes and the seam.

So it’s safer to use products that have a pH range of 3 to 5; otherwise high alkalinity products used is recommended to be neutralized with a pH 2.0 acidifier to return the leather pH chemistry integrity back to it neutral of 3 to 5; to prevent the detrimental snowballing effects of alkaline over exposure that leads to stiffness and cracks.

Tips:
    Steam cleaning and leather does not match; leather is a protein fiber and does not like heat; do you agree?

17. Adam Staerck

Adam Staerck Virgin Detailer

We recommend using the Leather Ultra Clean with our Tampico Brush. The Ultra Clean will soften the dirt and the tampico brush will knock the dirt out of the grain of the leather, making the clean much easier and more noticeable.

Furniture Clinics Leather Ultra Clean was given the first ever 20/20 for leather cleaners in Classics Monthly Magazine a few months back, and was recommended in the March issue of Practical Classics Magazine.

We are running a special offer at the moment where you can get 500ml Ultra Clean and 500ml Protection Cream plus accessories.

Hope this helps.

Adam

18. SRM06Goat

SRM06Goat Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Adams leather and interior cleaner works great on very dirty seats and smells good. Makes quick work of anything ive ever tried it on.

19. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

I did a leather cleaning test a while back on my mom's old 1990 something Caddy, the best product was woolite 20:1 and water. Of course after posting this I was called a few names by the "experts". But like Richard Pryer once said, " My wife caught me with another woman, I said, who you gonna believe? me? or your lying eyes?"

20. Believe

Believe Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Do you think einszett deep plastic cleaner is too strong on leather ? I need a strong cleaner cause im trying to clean real dirty seat !
    Thanks for your input !