Clear coat hardness

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by detaildude3629, Feb 25, 2011.

1. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

Hey guys had a customer contact me on a corvette 2010 black in color just a few months old, he stated to me that it has swirls in paint not to bad though, couple nicks etc, ask is I would like to take on a job like that and comfortable with black paint. Going tomm to take a peek and see what im up against. I keep the holograms down from a rotory i was planning on using my pc with a combo of pg/poli seal on cyran blue cutting pad 5.5" pad, how is the clear coat on these vehicles heard they were hard, could i just use a combo like stated above or add another step? course I am adding a lsp step to seal it, Wet Diamond paint protection along with CG EZ cream glaze. Need your input on this as I have not done correction on a corvette before, now dealing with black paint, stated wanted to keep the cost in check..Thanks guys

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

You won't be able to one step it with Powergloss as it doesn't finish down well and will need a second step to bring back the gloss. For your PC, I'd suggest the Cyan or B&S Yellow with Power Finish first. Great cut with either pad and the Power Finish finishes down really nice, even when used in conjunction with one of the cutting pads. GM Paint is hard as hell so unless its light marring from washing it, you'll need to do at least a two step.

3. Innovative

Innovative Virgin Detailer

Thought I would help you out on this one as I recently have done several black C6's. These vehicles are easy to induce new scratches and hard to correct without a rotary polisher. If you have a rotary polisher, try using a LC 5.5 Tangerine Hydro pad with M105 for your first pass. Then using a D/A with with a Meguiars W8006 and M205 for the second round of polishing to fine finish the paint. Last step would be a D/A pass with a LC 5.5 Crimson Hydro pad with your choice of wax or sealant, I choose M21 or Adams Americana Paste wax for awesome results.

Here is an example of some before shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During correction shot......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After paint correction shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you out!

Dave@ Innovative

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Nice job Dave!

5. Innovative

Innovative Virgin Detailer

Thank you very much for the compliment!

6. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Z06 or no? Black Z06 paint might not be as hard as you think.

7. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

Da

Hey Dave,been away a couple days, wow that is some nice work there,,yes I do have a rotory Mikita,,,what rpm did you use with Megs 105?and dont have powerfinish, I do have merzerna 106,and couple other ones,did you lay selant with da?..thanks there going wednesday to quote it,,,what time scale did it take you? Thanks Jeffrey