Swissvax'ed Georg's 1987 Mercedez-Benz SL560

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by scheerspeed, Feb 22, 2011.

1. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

This is probably my most thorough detail ever. it took 4 days between two people, totaling about 86 hours of combined labor between the two of us.

This 1987 Mercedez 560SL belongs to Georg Weidmann, the CEO of Swissvax. It is his personal car here in Miami that he purchased a few months ago. The car had been in an accident about two months back, and needed a new hood, driver side fender, front bumper, etc. The car had holograms all over the newly painted area, and the original paint was full of RIDS, deep scratches, overspray, and oxidation. This car has a single stage lacquer paint, thus making it VERY soft and hard to polish it perfectly without holograms, even with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Medium / Professional and a Black Swissvax pad.

The car needed some serious polishing, not only on the paint, but the metals and interior wood as well.

We used mostly Swissvax products from Georg's personal detailing bag which he gave to us to use on his car.

Anyways, onto the pics and process.

Here's the products we used:

Exterior:
    -Swissvax Car Bath
    -Swissvax Paint Rubber (Yellow) / Swissvax Quick Finish
    -Swissvax Mechanical Paint Repair (Isolated spots, trunk, hood) / Swissvax Strong pad
    -Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Strong (2-5 passes depending on the severity of the scratches / Swissvax Orange pad
    -Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Professional / Black Swissvax pad
    -Swissvax Mirage (As requested by Georg) applied by hand
    -Swissvax Metal Polish
    -Swissvax Nano Express (Rubber bumpers)
    -Swissvax Protecton
    -Swissvax Crystal

Engine:
    -Swissvax Engine (diluted 1:1)
    -Swissvax Protecton
    -Swissvax Metal Polish
    -Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular

Interior:
    -Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Strong and followed by Professional on the wood trim
    -Swissvax Wood Polish
    -Swissvax Protecton Matt
    -Swissvax Leather Cleaner
    -Swissvax Leather Milk
    -Swissvax Leather Healer
    -Swissvax Metal Polish
    -Swissvax Crystal
    -Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular
    -Chemical Guy's Lightning Fast

Wheels:
    -SONAX wheel cleaner
    -1Z Industrial Cleaner
    -Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Medium
    -Swissvax Autobahn
    -Swissvax Pneu

i may have left a few out but i believe that covers all the products

I would have applied Lotos Protectant to the convertible roof, however Georg asked that i left it alone.

Here's how she looked before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this next picture you can see the compounding marks left behind from the body shop that repainted the hood and fender. the left side is untouched and the right side is after two passes with Cleaner Fluid Strong and an Orange pad.

[​IMG]

The pinstripe around the car is hand painted on, so i had to tape it up while doing the heavy polishing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some more before pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beni spent countless hours polishing all the metal trim pieces on both the exterior and interior. In this pic he's polishing the 560SL badge using a Chop Stick to really get into the small spaces. i find these work really well to get in tight spaces with a microfiber towel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to polish the wood trim i had to tape up all the plastic pieces because i didn't want any polish getting into the cracks that would be nearly impossible to remove. I used the makita with a 3.5 inch Uber pad to apply the polishes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and after polishing, before Swissvax Wood Poliish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a before pic of the metal supports to the convertible roof. these were very oxidized and cleaned up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swissvax Mirage applied by hand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And 4 days later.... Finished!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Georg had put his personal things back in the car before i took these pictures of the interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for that one. Thanks for looking!

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Great job! Nice car as well, I would be nervous as anything working on his car. Interesting choice of wax, thought he would go for his formulation of Divine.

I was going to go to see SV USA and had it planned and family emergency had me leave Miami sooner.

Anyways, great pics and work!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

3. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

Outstanding job on a Classic! Back in the day I wanted one of those so bad. I've never seen one that shiney, even back in 87!
    Outstanding job. Thanks I really enjoyed that.
    Joe D.

4. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

talk about attention to detail. excellent work done here. very impressive for sure! my mother has the same car in this yellowish/creame color. the paint job is so horrible though (was repainted by previous owner), that its not even worth trying to work with. its a shame.

5. scheerspeed

I asked georg why he chose to use mirage... He told me that since he has the car on south beach he would rather take the car to a textile automatic car wash than a hand car wash to reduce the swirl marks as much as possible since he is not allowed to wash a car in the buildin where their office is. He says that mirage is a very strong wax and resists the chemicals in these car washes really well and it is also very hard which makes the paint more resistant to swirls.

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Stunning work, what a beauty! What do you think of Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Professional? Interesting to see that Georg would take it to a textile automatic carwash.

Lastly: whose G-class is that with the Swissvax stickers on it?

7. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

Great job, nice write and pictures.

I'm sure Georg was pleased with the outcome, it looks great!

8. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Very nice work! How did you come in contact with the CEO of Swissvax?

9. scheerspeed

I like the Professional a lot! It gives a gloss that is totally different than say Menzerna PO85RD. Much more mirror like and wet. However it can be finicky when it gets very humid. Georg says that Mirage will protect the paint against the car washes... lets see how the car ends up in a few weeks...

The G Benz belongs to the Swissvax USA office.

they called me...

10. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

and this post is a great example of why I now say that "I cleaned up the car this weekend" rather than "I detailed the car this weekend".

What I do to my cars is nowhere near being in the same playing field as this.

It is like running into da Vinci and saying "You painted this weekend? So did I. I painted my garage".

11. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Incredible work, you brought the car back from the dead!

-Kody-

12. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

great detail and a beautiful mercedes

it's very weird seeing a late 80s airbag wheel in an interior that was originally designed in early 70s

though the only thing i dont like, and it happens with alot of american spec cars, is the ott bumpers

they look alot better with the euro headlights and bumpers

13. Nick.944

Nick.944 Birth of a Detailer

Incredible job man working on classics is much harder IMO and it looks better than new now.

14. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

15. detaildoc

detaildoc DB Forum Supporter

Amazing turn around man, great job.

16. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Fantastic job Dom! Car looks fantastic.

17. tfonseca

tfonseca Virgin Detailer

Fantastic work. It is a shame to put it on a automatic car wash though :shead:

18. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Very nice!

19. scheerspeed

He believes that as long as it's a textile one and not a brush one that mirage is hard enough to protect it.

20. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Great job on a Classic MB!