3M vs Menzerna

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Eleotay, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Eleotay

Eleotay Virgin Detailer

Hey guys, I'm beginning to get some gear together for my first correction detail on my car. I'll be buying through out the spring and summer so I'm not in a rush to get anything. Basically here is what I'm thinking of doing to my car. It's a 2000 BMW 323i in Ti Silver, I got the car about 3 years ago and I think I am the only owner who has taken care of it. It has some pretty deep scratches that are down to the primer and maybe the metal, but mainly just covered in swirls and some RIDS. I plan on filling those deep scratches in and blending them in with the correction. My main concern is what products to use on carrying out the correction! I am thinking about getting some 3M polishes like the Ultra Fina and Medium polishes with some 3M pads. My other option is maybe going SIP and P085RD with some Uber pads or maybe the 3M pads. What are your thoughts on this? My dad also has a Makita rotary that I can use, but I might try to get a PC or Flex orbital so I don't burn the paint. Thoughts on that? I can try to get some pictures of the paint condition and load them onto the thread if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about. Thanks guys, Elliott

2. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Try doing some searches you'll find a lot of good info on this exact question.

Typically you will find that Menzerna polishes don't work the best with a PC, not saying they can't, but work better when coupled with the rotary. I have always been a big Menzerna fan and use them frequently with Uber pads with great results. I haven't really tried any 3M polishes or their pads so I don't want to make a one sided statement. However, their pads, from reading, are good and heard nothing but good things about most of their polishes. If you are looking for decent correction and using only a PC, maybe look at surbuf pads while using Megs 105/205 combo. I hope this small bit of info helps.

Good luck!

3. The rotary will be needed with the hard BMW paint. Although I would try to practice with it on some spare panels first. Menzerna makes great polishes. I have SIP and Bank. I also use 3M UF. You wozn't be disappointed with either brand!

4. Cooter

Cooter Guest

You should also take a look at Meguiars 105 and 205. Both are great products.

5. Captain

Captain Virgin Detailer

Hey elliott!

6. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I have had great results using Menzerna with a PC. I have just recently upgraded to a Flex though and its definately worth it. Menzerna polishes are IMO the best.

7. I agree. This a great combo. A bit of a learning curve, but well worth the results.

8. As long as you don't use anything bigger than a 5.5" pad, you can get good results. The hard BMW paint will make it a bit tougher though.

9. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Megs 105/205 are great for correction work, but it does have a learning curve. Search and read up on the Kevin Brown Method (KBM). Good Luck

10. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

My experience is similar to Eleotay. Ive been using SIP/106ff ever since I moved forward to the paint correction aspect of detailing. The big thing back then was it took forever to break down (exaggerating) but it also produced a large amount of dust. In the 3-4 years Ive used it, I also have the dusting issue, esp with 106 however I also get great results with the right pad combo. I use a metabo and have used ccs, flat, thin, thick, 5.5" 6.5" 7" pads with great success, it was a matter of preference and detailing surface

I've been away from the game for a while so I am curious about other combos, like the saying is though, if it ain't broke dont fix it. I will definetly take a look at the 105/205 combo

Menzerna has been great and hasn't disappointed on my side.

Good Luck!

11. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

love menzerna 106ff !!! great for light polishing

12. Eleotay

Eleotay Virgin Detailer

I've been doing some quick research on 3M stuff, and it seems that their polishes are a "kit". Using the compound, then swirl remover and finishing with the Ultra Fine. Any info on this combo? I've seen that Paul Dalton uses 3M stuff for correction so something must be good about it! But I'm still up for comments and suggestions about 3M vs Menzerna. And for some reason I really want to try these two over the megs stuff.

13. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

The Power Finish and Super Finish are great polishes.

14. bentley147

bentley147 Jedi Nuba

hmmmm 3m n menzrna ..they kind of neck n neck ..u have to know to cook the paint with 3m correcting polishes or hit the same area twice with the same.it take alot of skill ,but the key is take your time to get the swirls out the paint ...that make the polishing part easier ...polishing depends wat type u use ..i use megiuars ..make sure u on pint with that also ..u might wanna do another coat to make the silver pop ..then top of line wax to coat it .

15. cnut

cnut Guest

M105/205 are a great combo. 106ff/ super finish is a must have from menz for me. The menz does have a longer working time which at times isn't necessarily a bad thing. Whatever brand you choose should give pretty good results once figured out. Good luck with your decision.

16. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I like 105/205 on my Audi and I finish with mens 85rd and have been very impressed with the results and the ease of use.

17. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

When I first corrected my black Mustang Gt which also has a very hard clear I used the exact same polishes piginapoke mentioned above. I achieved great results using my PC at speed six with M105, M205 and 85RD with 5.5" LC orange, white, and blue pads. I now have the makita which I use more than the PC.

I say if you going to get a PC, then try this combination of polishes with some surbufs for (M105), uber greens for (M205), and uber blues for (85RD) all in 5.5" you should get some great results.;)

18. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I use both, but mainly Menz. On my last detail (don't do too many nowadays), it was a couple year old black Infiniti G35S coupe that was swirled to hell. Started with Menz PowerGloss and it just didn't seem to be getting the job done. Not sure if it was the colder weather or what. Switched over to 3M 3000 Rubbing Compound and holy sh!t did that make a difference. I was using a Flex 3401 with Uber yellow pads and it was a great combo. Left some light hologramming and lighter swirls. Cleaned that up with Menz PowerFinish along with Uber green pads and the car finished down very nice. Saw the car sitting out in full sun a couple of days later and I actually pulled a u-turn to go back and look at it. Told the owner that outside of my own cars, it was some of the best work I ever done thanks to that 3M compound.

19. jason827

jason827 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I am new to the detailing world and I hav just detailed a few cars so far.
    The combo I'm using the most is the M105/205 combo with LC organe pad via PC @ speed 6. This combo works very fine and correct almost all the scratches and RIDS except for those that were too deep which required wet sanding.
    Then I usually followed with Mez. P203 with a white pad via PC @ speed 4 to refine the paint. I am not sure if this step is necessary, but I have tested a panel on a metallic blue civic SIR and resulted with a more 'clear' paint.

I am thinking to switch to M105/organe pad and M205/white pad and skip the P203 step.
    Maybe applying glaze before LSP to enhance the gloss.

20. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I'd try to get to those deepest swirls with a surbuf pad and M105 on a random orbital polisher, and use the raotary as the last resort (unless you've had some experience on something other than your BMW)

Judging from the depth of the scratches you mentioned, I'd say 105 is a must . i'd also go out on a limb and say skip the 205 and po85rd and get po106fa instead.

the po106fa has more cut (for the possible haze left after 105) and on silver, I think that 105 followed by po106fa ( on a green / possibly orange pad) will enable you to skip the 205 step and some cash.