Noob question on paint polishing.

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Jtrem, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jtrem

Jtrem Virgin Detailer

Idk if this is exactly the right section. If not please move it.

Question.

When I bought my car I didn't notice that a section on the passenger side had been repainted. Car was dirty when I bought it and they offered a fee car wash, but we all know what dealer car washes are like.

Anyways, when I first washed, clayed, and waxed the car. I noticed all the body panels were great. High gloss. Except the spots I later discovered were repainted. They were noticeable duller. Almost like it was missing clear coat.

Let me just say Im a noob at the whole polishing process and I'm not even sure if this is salvageable or if a repaint is needed. I don't have anything to measure the paint depth. I was going to use a finish polish (Menzerna P085RD) to see if I could restore the gloss to it. I'm just afraid to do more harm than good.

When I get the chance to grab some photos I will. So you guys can get an idea of whats up.

Thanks in Advance!

2. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

Clearcoat is what gives the paint gloss. If clearcoat is indeed missing you won't get the gloss of the other parta of the car. If the repaint just has a dull clearcoat polishing will save it

3. Jtrem

Jtrem Virgin Detailer

Okay. just to give a visual. I apologize for the low quality images. I had to use the camera phone for these. My dslr is acting up on me.

Here is a picture of the good side. You can see its glossy.
    [​IMG]

Now the Bad side. You can see how its hazy and distorted.
    [​IMG]

4. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I am sure you could find a paint/body shop to give you a quote on fixing it...during the process they can probably tell you why such as repaint due to some sheetmetal damage, etc.

Paint shops probably can spot (be more honest) about someone else's paint flaws than their own work.

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Could also be from improper wetsanding after painting. Maybe the paint isn't leveled properly. The picture isn't clear enough for me to tell that though.

Does it feel rough, like orange peel?

6. ryanb

ryanb Virgin Detailer

I paint cars for a living so I can probably help. From what I can see in the pictures I looks as if the finish has hazed over a bit. If you can give me a few answers I can give you a good solution.

Does it have orange peel at all of does it look pretty flat?

If you look really close does it have any areas that look as if the clear was sanded before buffing and not buffed all the way?

It definately has clear on it. If it didn't the sun and weather would have destoyed the basecoat in a matter of weeks. Plus it would have zero shine to it as basecoat dries completely flat(dull).

7. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

I'm no painter, but I would say try polishing it out. Do you have a DA and if so what other polishes do you have? I'm thinking your going to need something with more cut than the P085RD. It may as others have said just not been buffed out completely when it was repainted.

8. Jtrem

Jtrem Virgin Detailer

Most of it looks pretty flat a few areas have some slight orange peel. Nothing noticeable unless you really look for it. I first noticed that it was probably a repaint because in one spot near the roof you can see some clumping of the metallic.

Yes I can see some areas that are pretty rough with scratches. Fine scratches though. So maybe a sign of a poor buff and polish. Nothing showed up on the carfax so Im certain the previous owner did this all under the hat.

I have a DA and a lot of different pads. Have all the pads from Black down to Yellow. I also have P083 and Prima Cut.

9. ryanb

ryanb Virgin Detailer

If it is pretty flat looking whoever painted it more than likely sanded and buffed the car after painting. It could be a little dull if they didn't get it polished out all the way, or possibly from sanding and buffing it too soon after it was painting. It could also be something that has nothing to do with the buffing process. Here is a list of things that can cause your clear to die back

Poor reducer/hardener selection
    Improper flash time of the sealer/basecoat/clearcoat
    Cheap products used
    Using a speed clear to paint too big of a job
    Improper mixing ratios of the clear
    poor airflow, too much airflow for the clear used after spraying
    etc etc etc....

There are even more things to list but since this is a detailing forum I won't bore anyone. As for fixing it, you might be able to just polish/compound it out. I would try a polish like Menzerna power finish first and see how it responds. I would say it will need to be compounded though. M105 on a surbuf pad would do a nice job if heavier compounding is needed.

If after compounding it still doesn't get it's shine back sanding may be necessary. Something like Mirka Abralon P2000 and P4000 on a d/a should do it. Try to just polish it first and if that doesn't work, try using compound. Make sanding your last option.

10. Jtrem

Jtrem Virgin Detailer

^^ thank you for all the input. I think I may actually take it to a pro. I'm still too new at this to fully trust myself.

11. ryanb

ryanb Virgin Detailer

Give it a shot. Cant do much damage with a d/a and polish. It might work, wont know till you try. If it doesn't work and needs compounding or possibly sanding then take it to a pro if you are not comfortable.

Most of the time compounding or polishing will bring it back. :thumb: