A few wax questions re: durability and longevity

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by newbie001, Nov 8, 2010.

1. newbie001

newbie001 Birth of a Detailer

Hi all. First off, I apologize if my terminology isn't perfect. When I say durability I'm referring to the strength of protection, and when I say longevity I of course mean how long I'll get the protection/durability.

It's my understanding through searching this (and other) forums, that Collinite is one of the best as far as longevity of protection (particularly 476, 845 and 915). And that it's also quite 'durable/strong' as well.

Is there anything else out there that lasts significantly longer than the 845 (which I already own)?

Also, is there anything that lasts around the same time (or just a bit shorter), but provides better durability?

Or if I already own the 845 there's really no need to try anything else?

I have a black audi that is used for daily driving around town, but is otherwise parked in a garage (apartment building) overnight and during the day when not in use. On the weekend we do more highway traveling. The car does get very dusty even after just 1 day in the garage.

I've read that some waxes (some of the $$$ Swissvax maybe) provide better durability, in the sense that it makes it easier to wash the car as the dirt just 'falls off' the wax (to some extend anyway). Is there any truth to this?

I don't care as much about the look of the wax, I'm just looking for the best combination of durability and longevity.

Or perhaps all of the above is a moot point and I'm better off with a sealant?

Thanks!

2. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

I don't know what you already own, so I can't say if you have anything that might be better than the Collinite.

I've personally never tried the Swissvax collection since it's kind of out of my price range right now.

I have used the Collinite 845 and the stuff is awesome. Leaves a great smooth finish and it's longevity is awesome. Here in New England I put usually 2 coats of it on my truck as my winter prep. Depending on the type of winter we have it will get me through until it's warm enough to detail again.

You can always apply a sealant and then after that cures(12-24 hrs) apply a coat of Collinite. I would say experiment a little bit. Worse case it comes off and you have to reapply early.

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

For many years (twenty plus) my polymer sealant of choice was Klasse (an acrylic polymer) I then converted to Zaino (a polymer) and used it for approx fifteen years, but my coating of choice today is a nanotechnology (silica) coating that has better durability than anything I’ve used in more than five decades.

Unlike a polymer that forms a barrier; nanotechnology coatings are a modification of the surface chemistry on a molecular level that provides a semi- permanent easy to clean protective surface.

4. newbie001

Can I ask what specifically you are using? Is this like an opti-coat type of product?

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If you are already using Colli 845, you will be hard pressed to find anything with better durabilty without spend a lot more money or adding multiple coats. 845 is fantastic as it looks great on pretty much any colour and two coats will see you through pretty much any winter. Best of all its inexpensive. There are products like Menz Powerlock that may add a bit more depth (not as durable) or RG55 that will add more depth and be just as durable but will cost more money. You may want to play around with some other waxes in the spring and summer just to see how they change the depth, brightness, wetness etc but stick with 845 as your base. :)

6. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

how much more durability do you think the coli will offer over the powerlock. i have to say that the power lock has shown to be pretty good from what i have used. just asking because i was thinking of picking up the coli here soon to try out. also duragloss 105 is still a favorite of mine and seems to be able to hold up to winter weather with no problem.

7. newbie001

Can I use the PowerLock and then top with 845?

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

From what we've seen posted, Powerlock will offer 3-4 months of protection whereas the Colli will offer around 5 months or so. I like DG 105 as well ( just used it today ). Two coats of Colli 476 or 845 is pretty much bullet proof over the winter.

That's a tough question as 845 has ALOT of solvents and may reduce the durability of the Powerlock if layered over top. If its depth you are looking for, I'd suggest a nuba like Victoria Wax Mayhem. Its inexpensive and adds a good deal of depth and wetness. Its very easy to apply and remove as well.

9. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I sprayed Wheel Brightener 1:1 on my wheels the other day and forgot they were coated with 845. It still beaded. IT STILL BEADED.

10. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

LOL I use 915 on my polished wheels and it takess a good 2 hits of WB to kill it all. You cant go wrong with either of the Collonite for bombproof protection at a VERY reasonable price.

11. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

The only thing I use anymore is Collinite 915 as I prefer the paste over the liquid. I have had no trouble getting 4-6 months of solid beading from it. I tried using JstSeal109 underneath it and didnt see any significant change in appearance or longevity, so I just prefer the Colli on its own. I used to use Swissvax Smarged and cant see where it was any better or easier to wash the car vs Colli.

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

When you use an MF to wipe off the 845, might as well throw away the MF. It will never absorb water again.

13. GDAL

GDAL Guest

that's why I have dedicated MF's and applicators for 845.

14. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Well that should tell you someting.