Carnuba vs Synthetics??? (Mothers FX)

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by galaxy, Nov 6, 2010.

1. galaxy

galaxy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What's your guys' take on some of the mainstream brands synthetic wax's? I just tried out Mothers FX for the first time on my dark blue IS 300 and absolutely love it!!

Regardless of how it holds up, how it protects, etc, etc, it is by far and hands down the easiest product I have ever used on the paint. Almost zero dust and literally zero effort to remove. And I think it goes without saying how different products can leave a different appearance/finish on various colors, well the FX left this blue looking spectacular. I love what it's done for the appearance.

Mainly curious if you guys think these synthetic type products are gimmicks or not...i.e. this FX, Meguiar's NXT, etc? What's your take and/or experience and opinions.

FWIW, the FX is definitely a LSP. Seems to have zero filling or polishing qualities, and certainly no correction capabilities.

2. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

I personally choose synthetic sealants over 'nuba.

Sealants are professionally man-made in labs for this very reason. They are designed to be applied and removed easily, then in return lasts for many many months. They are cheap, probably the best sealant on the market is Menz Powerlock. A big bottle of it is like $40 or something. That will last you quite awhile.

'Nuba is no doubt an amazing LSP. While it looks great, it doesn't last long. Theres waxes that range from crappy $10 OTC waxes to $2k+ Swissvax waxes. These are expensive as hell but last for about 3 months tops. Some waxes are incredibly hard to remove, and a little does not go a long way.

So in the end I choose sealants. Spend a good $40 on the best sealant out there and spend a lot on pads and polishes. LSPs are just icing on the cake. A true finish lies in the paint, not the LSP.

Anyone feel free to chime in, but that's just my stand.

3. Dial Up

Dial Up Birth of a Detailer

Colli 845 FTW

price :thumb:, easy to use, protects well

4. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Mothers FX is more like adding a clear coat bump/amplifier to the paint - it will perk it up. It is very neutral and does not really alter the paint natural look (does not darken, hide swirls). It is super easy to apply.

If you are addicted to detail sprays, consider FX Spray Wax. It is about as easy to apply as any detail spray, less expensive, and more durable.

5. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

as a hobbiest i prefer carnauba waxes. Also, majority of the cars ive owned have been either solid black or warm colours, and i can see how a carnauba has added to the finish

sealants are a bit boring for me, they all look the same and although the durability is there, as a hobbiest i wouldnt ever stretch past 6 months in wanting to correct the paint

there are carnauba hybrids out there that give the best of both worlds, durability and warmth, colly waxes, blackfire's midnight sun, wolfgang fuizon for example, and a wax ive got on atm called naviwax which is showing unbelievable durability - in fact the only wax ive used so far that is resisting water spots through a wet sunny spring in Aus, and that includes colly 476

i agree there are some good otc products, autoglym is otc here and they have some very good products. I made my first otc purchase in a while today, i bought megs #7

6. sulla

sulla Virgin Detailer

Get yourself some natty's blue or better yet pinnacle souveran... natty's blue is as easy as mothers snynwax but will definitely give you a true nuba look so you can form an opinion.. Souveran is way easier than both to apply but costs more..

I have a feeling you will like both and alternate between the plasticky look or simmering oil look like apple and orange

7. B.Prug87

B.Prug87 Guest

souveran is for garage queens only. It doesnt last very long at all and it mutes metallic flake.

8. grease

grease Birth of a Detailer

People get a notion that because something is made in mass amounts, it cant be a good product. These larger OTC brands have some of the best chemical engineers working for them. While OTC products have to be easy to use, that doesnt preclude them from being fantastic in many other senses. Megs NXT 2.0, for example, is a fantastic product and will look spectacular on well prepped paint. It sits on my shelf next to Fuzion and Concorso.

9. sulla

sulla Virgin Detailer

True that ..

It's also easier to see the nuba difference with souveran

Ease of use seem to be what the OP like.. wax application cant be easier with souveran just wipe on wipe off immediately no finger testing no guessing no hazing :)

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

[Mainly curious if you guys think these synthetic type products are gimmicks or not...i.e. this FX, Meguiar's NXT, etc? What's your take and/or experience and opinions.]

Synthetic type products are usually polymer sealants as opposed to organic waxes. A polymer has a durability advantage over organic waxes. I would in no way consider the polymers products you mentioned to be a gimmicks

11. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I received some samples to test from Mothers which included FX SynWax Past and FX SynWax Spray along with several other products to try, including some from their professional line that I haven't gotten to try yet. The easy of use of Mothers products is great as stated above both Synwaxes are great OTC products. I cant speak for their durability as I applied them to a clients vehicle, I need to get back in touch with them and ask about its durability. As for the for the question I like sealants my mustang gt has two coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond its ease of use is great, it has wetness to it that is normally seen from a mid range carnauba wax and the longevity is great.

12. infinity

infinity Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Synthetic products are proving to be the way forward when it comes to surface protection imo.

13. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I have used Mothers Syn Wax, Meg's Nxt, and collinite 845, the first two are easy to apply but do not last more than a week or so. My vehicles include a black Audi Allroad, and a Black Lincoln Mark LT, both ungaraged and reside in Ct.. That being said it rains here 2-3 times a week and after applying the 845 this summer in multiple coats (I reapplied 845 after each wash) I have not seen anything else bead water months after application. I also tried Ardex Gold supreme on a customers vehicle and it was a waste of time and money. I am going to try collinite 915 this spring on the lincoln, should look good on the black paint, and I will try Glanz Wax on the audi. But so far nothing has come close to 845. This week I will strip the roof on the audi and try a head to head comparison of Glanz and 845, the roof is a matte finish so durability through the winter will define the winner.

14. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I have to agree, especially the newer nanothechnology coatings - but then again when it comes to 'looks' (very subjective I know) but a Carnauba wax does give a 'warmer' less sterile look

15. dogma

dogma Guest

I like the synthetics better. I think regular carnuba attracts dust. I tried SN and Vics red and WBW. Although very nice waxes I like Vics Chaos much better as I do Hydro . For me I don't get the bling bling out of regular carnuba especially on metallic. I do like CK CMW a lot too.

16. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

is menzerna power lock a nano tech sealant? i love it and another called rejex. just wondering

17. Minicoop831

Minicoop831 Birth of a Detailer

No nano sealants are things like cquartz which last much longer, nano sealant can last at least up to a year and longer

18. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i really want to like nubas better....but i have yet to find one that doesnt haze up i have tried p21s, adams buttery, liquid sov, cg petes 53, bf midnight sun, and autoglym hd. and when im doing a customers car i reach for menz power lock everytime, no trick to apply or remove, no haze and last 3-5 months