Pros - What do you do in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Chaseme, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Question for those who otherwise make a living out of detailing:

What do you do in the off-season; AKA winter?

Mainly wondering about those in colder climates.

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

ONR and a heated garage. Gotta grind all year long.

3. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

wear more layers, shiver, keep on detailing my own and customers

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Do you guys find yourselves doing corrections or mostly just maintenance?

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have a shop but still do mobile as well if the temp is at least 2C (36F). I have a washmatt at my shop so I can wash inside. Goretex is the word of the day! Lots of washes this time of year.

6. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

A lot of my customers bring their cars in for big corrections during the winter because I can spend 4 days on them as they dont get driven during the winter months.

Its a mixture of both. I usually book less appointments in the harshest months like December and January because of the snow and it being so cold outside.

Also for those ONR winter warriors its a great product but still for the most part wheel cleaning needs to be done outdoors if the wheels are dirty and if the car is covered in road salt I wont ONR it, that needs full foam and soapy slick wash attention immediately :spank:

7. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

I stay busy cuz most people don't wanna wash their cars in the cold. but us detailers....we're different and thats when we hit them with another bill. I have co-workers - friends calling me up for winter protection, Im never this BZ spring n summer.....

BTW im not a pro

8. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

most people in my area go to gas station car wash, but mainly lots of winter protection package during Oct and November.
    I am thinking to get an Optima steamer, still planning.

9. Jose206

Jose206 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Im actually thinking about that optima steamer for these coming cold winter months myself since it was highly recommended. The thought of having to stick my hands back in some really cold buckets of water makes me wanna shrink back and do someth:applause2:ing else for winters lol. That optima should save me the trouble though.

10. Paint Protection Orlando

Paint Protection Orlando Detailers Advertising Scheme

Here in Florida there is no off season. :p:

11. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

ya, must be nice, this year and next I am back in school and maybe for 2 after that during the winter. working on getting my CGA

12. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

If this winter is anything like last winter, no detailing. Too much snow we got, and it was futile to even attempt to detail. cars would stay clean for like 2 seconds.

13. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

I keep busy with my regular maintenance customers plus details, just fewer details than the rest of the year. up until the beginning of december I really push exterior protection details so that last push before the first snow is crucial. During the winter months I also like to push interior details. people are less concerned with the exterior because in their minds it's just gonna get dirty and not worth it. in a sense interior details "last longer" to people (also keeps me dry/warm which is a plus)

14. Denzil

Denzil Guest

No off-season here in Cali. :)

15. Norseman

Norseman Virgin Detailer

I'm moving back to Florida next month and look forward to the yearlong work. In fact the winters are busier due to all the snowbirds coming down

16. mobilejay

mobilejay Birth of a Detailer

No off season here in Houston. Last year got really cold for Houston, some days were below 32 and I was still working. I LOVE the cold weather, I just found some ski pants that I stay uber warm in and just layer my upper body and use water proof gloves to work in. There was one day the temps were in the low 20's I cancelled my appointment but other than that keep on working :)

17. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Here in Western Washington, on the Puget Sound, we have already had a week of snow and then it warmed up and melted. But its supposed to be colder later on.

I still have a list full of people who are waiting in line, so I just fill my 5Gal bucket up with hot water from the laundry room sink, and go outside and wash when its not freezing my outside water hose.

The bucket will stay warm almost to the end of the wash so this really helps keep my hands from freezing.

I insulated and drywalled my garage, ran a couple of new 20amp outlets closer to the big doors, and I am alot warmer in there when the doors are down.

I will try to work all winter long to help pay for this business.

Dan F

18. frankwills34

frankwills34 Virgin Detailer

sorry i can't

19. frankwills34

frankwills34 Virgin Detailer

sorry i can't